My new 72' Datsun 510 station wagon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a tow rig for a tow rig. 510s really shouldn't be used for towing, other than maybe a 4' trailer for autocross tires. That's about it. And seriously, 350? That's like crapping on the Datsun heart. Iron pig 350 sucks. If you go LS1, then I can't really argue. (It still ain't right though.) Go browse cl for a 2wd Ford pickup tow pig, keep the 510 stock for now, minus that damn hood scoop.

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend towing with your 510.. it's light, and the unibody will be prone to distortion. I say you should flip it, and sell it to someone that actually wants a Datsun.

the only reason i am towing is because i am stationed in virginia i am just on leave in cali, but hey if i didnt want it i wouldnt of bought it, i would only change the engine because i want the deep bellowing sound of a v8, i its my project car i want to see if i can make it fast. im seriously getting rid of that dammed hood scoop its kinda gay. how about if i put a nissan rb25det engine and tranni on it, that would be better right?

I don't want to tell ya what to do but here goes.( Leave it alone,) Just get rid of that silly hood thing and drive it. For the $$$ and time your going to put into it to make it fast you can buy a fast car. RB25 will never work without cutting the fire wall or radiator support.

Your on track to ruin a really good wagon.

029.jpg

This is what will happen if you just leave it and paint it red. Your a young man so these kinda chicks will be all over your shit. trust me.

Looks like you scored on that wagon, but unless you have lots of experience in swapping motors stick to simple swaps like a KA (if you do a swap at all) the s2000 motor is cool but not easy. the VG30 can be swapped with a kit from vg30.com, and lots of guys have done the SR. the RB is a bad idea in my opinion because you have to cut up the car so much, and the 350 is just stupid. :no: