enough lurking.

cdub42

hi, long time lurker. first time poster. longer time Datsun guy. my first Datsun was a Datsun pulsar. loved that little car. till someone ran a stop sign and i clipped the last 5 inches of their van, spun the van around 180 degrees, over a curb, and knocked down the stop sign on the other side of the street. my only injury was from a high school text book i had on the back seat where the speakers where... it hit me in the back of the head. but math always made my head hurt anyways. wasn't long after that when i was contemplating what to do with the caracas of my totaled little red sports car when it was desended upon by people asking to strip parts from it to keep their own cars alive when i really started getting into the Datsun thing. the very first car i purchased on my own was a 79 620 when i was 16. a little blue truck with the heart of a lion. it wouldn't die. i would off road that thing, jump it off stuff, knock down trees, and push trails through the underbrush so my friends in their fill sized fords and Chevys could follow. it never quit. and it rarely broke. several years of this into my early twenties i decided that this truck had proved itself. it made a permanent and distinguished mark in my mind and i decided to keep it no matter what. this truck deserved it, for the adventure it offered me in trade for the hell i bestowed upon it. i drug it across the northwest with me where ever i moved. and when i couldn't have it with me it sat in my parents back yard, horse pastures, and everywhere else i could store it. it logged more miles. on a flat bad trailer than on its odometer for about 6 years. about a year ago i want and got it from its horse pasture in bend oregon and brought it to my shop in yelm wa. explaining to my fiancé why i wanted to drive 300 miles to get a "ratty old truck that s rotting in a horse pasture" wasn't easy. she wasn't very receptive. but being supportive she came with. when we got there, i had to then again explain to her why we drove 300 miles to get this "expletive expletive Datsun expletive horse pasture expletive expletive expletive and now we have to trailer it 300 miles home?" she cordially pointed out that with just the cost of fuel to get this particular non running Datsun, i could have bought one that ran back home. to with i replied "thats not the point." girls just don't get it. so I've since then stripped it down. scrubbed it up. and been putting it back together. its a long process. and heres some pictures of it, from just since i brought it home. i drive it to work now everyday. its got a few mechanical bugs I'm still trying to resolve, and a paint job in in the works.

421594_10150696003664467_2083539268_n.jpg

431309_10150695848409467_364563827_n.jpg

before elbow grease

424893_10150696407724467_1249682704_n.jpg

after elbow grease

64371_10150706480029467_146811680_n.jpg

thirty years of gunk don't give up that easy.

423137_10150706609774467_1319921041_n.jpg

up and over

294999_10150990294234467_2073009650_n.jpg

cause i like to stop every now and then

ill upload more pictures when i get more time. they are all scattered all over the place

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good eye. It sure is. And you will have clearance issues. The front outriggers barely fit underneath. If I had the dog bowls on there with stock tires, it wouldn't have fit. I can't wait until I start doing things to make the truck look pretty again. Whenever I take something apart, I usually superclean it before it goes back in and the area around where it came out of. I've gotten several compliments on how clean my engine bay is, for how old it is. I'd like to paint it all one color, but I'm not sure what the right paint would be. I cleaned up the spots that are a little rusty and hit them with some rustoleum to seal it up. But I would like something that's a single stage with a Matte finish that won't stain from oil and gasoline, or mark up when i hit it with a wrench, alternator, hoist chain...ect. And the ability to be able to touch it up without having to feather it in or blend it out would be a huge plus. I'd like to use zolatone, but that stuff is ridiculously expensive. It's well worth the money, but just way the hell out of my budget. I want to paint outside back to the same color of metalflake blue that's on there. I want to find a match that color in a single stage acrylic. That way I can just Sand it up a section of the time instead of trying to do the whole truck at once.