--- RHD Fairlady 280zx ---

Moar pictures/explanation/details later.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to purchase this.

A friend was kind enough to pickup/tow and deliver this hidden gem to me ;).

I am a zcar guy. Never thought id own a 280zx ... let alone a 2+2 ... but i must admit ... i like s130's as much as i like s30's. I wanted to try to get this car started as it deserved a chance.

*I took a big chance and bought the car blind.

*she was non-running ( owner said she would ... but i when i cranked her no dice! Just an occasional cough

*The clutch system was blown/mis-adjusted. It too had been tinkered with.

*Lucky the brakes worked good!

*Previous owner took some items off the interior.

*Previous owner primered car black.

*Fenders have seen better days.

*minimal rust! Yes it exists but not bad at all! !! Pleased. ( I am picky) .

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Rear quarter somewhat rippled from a minor accident. Not bad at all. Paint is brown.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New clutch master.

IMG_0369.jpg

New starter.

IMG_0370.jpg

New alternator

IMG_0371.jpg

Drivers floor pan

IMG_0372.jpg

Cruise control stuff under drivers seat.

IMG_0374.jpg

Power mirror switches. Not sure if they work atm.

IMG_0375.jpg

Dash has 3 cracks ( maybe 4 ).

IMG_0378.jpg

Haha rockln the 80's

IMG_0382.jpg

Drivers door edge. Not as bad as it looks.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

Po was taking off trim to do bodywork/paint i think ..

IMG_0395.jpg

Passengers side

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Original color ...

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/zguy2/IMG_0420.jpg[/iM

rhd zx News !

There is a short story and a long story ,,, you choose lol ( I know I write a lot :lol: )

/

Short Story : rhd zx run-ability issues fixed and running great so far ! ( moving in the driveway under light load :lol: ) I still have the O2 sensor out for now , so i should really get that back in haha The real test will come once insured/actually driving lol. Fuel system was the culprit. Fuel Tank Filter was clogged with rust/crap/years of sitting and not cleaned ! A few rubber fuel lines at the back were bad as well ( bleeding in air but not letting out fuel was ecular ) Clutch system was fixed/bleed/workling properly as I made a "custom" slave cylinder rod for it. Alternator bought and need a metric bolt or stud to install it. Brake system is next and last as it will be getting at least a master cylinder rebuild. Maybe the rest of the brake system as well BUT rest of the system looks to be dry atm ! I probably won't fix things that are not broken haha.

She moves around in the driveway some moar lolz.

Move to long story for details if ye wish be lolz. But a few oics below.

Thanks for reading ,,,

Dtp

Long Story :rhd zx update. Note: O2 sensor still out hahaha. As you know ,,, I got done fixing the clutch hydraulic system. made an extended "custom made" slave cylinder rod , clutch cylinder rebuilt and all. bleed. it engages/disengages into gear a-ok , so it works ! yay ! so time to move onto a different portion of the car right ? yup !

I was satisified with the clutch system working. I had already changed the inline fuel filter and had barely tried to really run the car before getting to the runability issues. Car started sputtering/stalling out like it did occasionally/rougher idle. I fixed some vacuum leaks and proceeded to test again. Same issues ! So I pulled the fuel feed line from the fuel rail while sticking it into a 1-gallon gas container. , I then switched the key to the "on" position and disabled the oil pressure switch ( so the pump would run before oil pressure acheived as I understand it ) lots of air and a little bit of fuel came from the feed line ! I decided to proceeded to pull the line before the inline filter in the compartment. I tested it the same way. The same issues were showing up as well.

I did not wish to throw money at the car. One could believe the fuel pump was at fault. So I decided to pull the fuel pump/clean it's internal filter and perform a "volume test".While I was disconnecting the fuel pump to perform tests on it , I noticed (2) of the rubber fuel lines to it were "bleeding air" BUT not leaking at all ! So I aksed myself if it was just pumping majority of air all this time ? or what ? Looking at the age of the fuel lines it wasn't a hard to understand concept as they were very old.

Onto the fuel pump volume/operation test ! I basically setup a temporary fresh fuel pickup tank and temporary return tank. The (2) blue wires were hooked up to aligator adapter clips then to the (+) and (-) terminals of a battery ( safely ! ). The first 2 seconds of operations told me that the fuel pump was a-ok. it was flowing nicely and evenly. I decided to finish the 30 seconds/1-liter test. It passed with flying colors. The pumped "looked" new but I had to be sure ! I performed the test 1 more time and it passed gracefully !

IMG0289.jpg

IMG0296.jpg

After seeing the age of the rubber fuel lines and finding out the fuel pump was good I proceeded to pull the "Fuel tank sending unit/pickup". Once it was out , I found rust scales almost 3mm thick on the bottom of the fuel tank pickup filter and the sides of the fuel tank pickup filter we're very clogged. So I proceeded to clean it out with a special blend ,,, lolz. I regretably forgot to take pictures of the filter beforehand.

Fuel sending unit pulled

IMG0276.jpg

ZX fuel tank sending unti/pickup tube/floats (2)

IMG0230.jpg

IMG0249.jpg

A clean fuel tank pickup filter

IMG0220.jpg

installed it

IMG0255.jpg

IMG0257.jpg

While pulling the fuel pump , I noticed the fuel pressure dampeners hoses were rotten as well ! At this point I replaced them. The high pressure fuel injection-grade hose is about $4.60 per foot now. Kind of a shock for me as I have not bought some "real" grade hose in some years. replaced !

IMG0301.jpg

So put it all back together in the zx. Poured in 2-gallons of fresh gas into her . Put her in neutral and turned the key from "on" to "start" . She fired right up and ran smoothly ! whoooo-hooooo ! She kept running ,,, I blipped her throttle ,,,, pretty smooth response and fast ! 75-100% better !!! lol ... I let here run for a couple of minutes waiting for her to die like she did before ... she did not ! I blipped the throttle some more ,,, very responsive yo !!! So at this point I was pretty satisfied.

I've done quite a few other things to it in between but this was the important stuff as of this moment. lol . I bought a schmucks alternator and can't figure out if the post "E" is a stud or a bolt lol ( in example = did the re-manufacturer leave something out ? haha ) I gotta take it to ACE hardware and gander their metric selection as I always do.

Next Step is the brakes ... I will probably just rebuild the ZX master for now and maybe a couple of lines. None of the calipers seems to leak. Although I may also just rebuild calipers and replaces the brake hoses at the same time. We shall see and time as well as $$$ shall tell :) I am much of advocate these days for " If it ain't broke don't fix it !" ....

Thanks for reading !

Dtp

At this point since the car starts/runs/drives/stops.

I can move onto body/interior/asthetics.

i also performed a compression test and happy to report lowest reading @ 3 clicks dry is 157-160psi. Since this is a lower compression engine i deem it healthy! She seems to run well.

Plan is to transfer many body pars from a donor zx 2+2.

*Fenders

*doors

*hatch

*hood

*bumper

*tailights

*rare red tailight panel

*wheels ( ai think i will have some six-spoke zx wheels.)

I need to install a muffler pretty bad. I believe current muffler is partially blocked/rusted through.

Nice purchases.

I'm surprised Nissan badged it as a 280Z instead of a 280ZX.

th_IMG_0321.jpg

Ultra was a semi-popular aftermarket electronic ignition sold in Japan-market. Google ultra cdi site:jp

CDI makes it better than a stock Nissan EI. But if it still uses contact points, I'd switch over to a matchbox.

th_IMG_0364.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...