PLZ HELP kinda stranded in portland

so i live down in ashland and im staying up in portland for a month working over in vancouver at vancouver bolts for a month and my 1970 521 has developed a power leak when i shut it off and drains out my batt to the point where it is pancaked and wont even take a pop start. a little bit of what i have done recently to her is new batt new alt new voltage reg when she is running she charges up fine reads just over 14.5 but i am completely baffled right now i read about the horn on another post on some guys 510 could that be the same for my truck? i just skated over to baxters over by portland medows and got some universal relays because that was all they had i wana find out what u guys think before i open them up and give it a shot. i am in need of some serious help please. if anyone can call me and give me some ideas i would appreciate it my name is dane and my number is 541 414 9040 i have very limited tools with me at this point but enough to get the job done.

i pulled out the horn relay and the light relay according to the wiring diagram and checked ohms resistance on them i am showing a connection on the light relay but nothing from the horn would that indicate the horn relay being good or bad?

Edited by bustedknuckles
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Between the Ebonics Im reading. I think your saying:

My battery doesnt start the truck when I shut it off?

Bad battery cables.

put the key to ON. Put a volt meter on battery post itself(red lead) and then to the battery cable clamp(black lead). If it reads 2 volts or more difference its right there. cracked clamp or corrission

Hopefully you didnt drain the battery to where it kileed it either.Load test it.

Since it is charging good, the temporary solution is: Undo the negative battery cable when you shut off the truck. Refasten it before you use the truck.

I doubt if it is the horn relay. If it is,just unplug it. Don't start messing with the wiring until you know what the cause is.

Really need to be very specific here.

You mention RELAYS , What is this for? This is only for a low voltage to the starter. if they click alot and nothing happens. To test this theroy one will take a wire from the +battery post to the starter selenoid tab and it should crank as soon as you touch it.

You need to take soem voltage reading while ON a the battery and then put the lights on ad maybe the wipers and see what the voltage reads. Maybe your rwally running off the battery and draining it then go to start its just flat. Or maybe during the daytime your not usuing accessories and not draining the battery. maybe at Night and colt your using this stuff up.

everything off try this, using a test light. This test might have a auto choke relay still hoooked up or soemthing but I know that was 510 specific.

ive done alot of wiring in the past and ive been using my multi meter like a mad man but im just lost right now and i know about taking off the negative cable but that doesnt fix my issue its only a band aid i truly appreciate all of your guys suggestions only on ratsun can u get such quick responses thank you for not acting like elitists haha