Had to fix my car in the work parking lot today

On the way to work the idle kicked up to about 3k which seemed weird, but it made it there fine and wasn't overheating. It turns out a little piece of metal had made its way into the secondary somehow and got wedged between the throttle plate and the outside luckily. I tried to pull it out with a flathead, but ended up having to pull the carb off to get it out of the intake when it fell through...

I've had the carb off like 3 times since i've had it, so i knew the funky intake would catch it. My kingdom for a stumpy 12mm wrench, will prolly make one next time i'm at my shop. I couldn't figure how the thing made it past the air cleaner, and the flappers and shit on it seemed ok so i put it back on and drove home. Idle is back to 750, drives as well as before.

Any idea what this piece of junk is that tried to fuck with my head? Also are there any decent aftermarket options for air cleaners for the hitachis?

th_IMG_3636.jpg

tough to spot, but top middle you can see the shiny rectangle. touch to get a picture of it...

th_IMG_3635.jpg

tl;dr: if your idle jumps up kill the engine and make sure nothing is wedged against the throttle plates. i got very lucky.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I fired up my car to head home after work and the engine reved up to about 5000 rpm so I shut it off. Wtf?!

Popped the hood and found out the nut that holds the linkage to the carb was missing :(.

One of the little return springs came undone as well so I put everything back where it should go and limped home. Luckily I have a few spare carbs for parts.

Couldn't have been there when you shut it off or you would have noticed it revving. Also the only way to get jammed in the secondary is if it was open enough for it to get in there. (may be a silly question) But when did you use the secondary last?

Better check the air filter and the filter housing. Take a good look at the thermostat with the vacuum lines that regulates the warmed air into the air cleaner snorkel. It may be coming apart.

I know exactly what that is. That is a shim that is used to hold in one of the venturis on a hitachi carb that DOESN'T have the 2 screw removable venturis. I lost mine once and it went through the engine! Thats when I built a new engine and swapped to mikunis. This is the carb I rebuilt for my 620. You can see the shim.

pic.jpg

Excellent! I thought the non removable Venturis were only for Kalifornians so they couldn't mess with them. .

Im one up on you Mike lol. I hate the non removable venturi design, you cant change the packing, the removable is a much better design, and you can take em out for cleaning.

He is very lucky that the shim didnt get sucked down and through. The venturi that the shim fell out of is now probably loose and not functioning properly.

Do this to a 12 MM wrench.

CarbWrench.jpg

yesssssss, i dont have one with 12mm on both sides but off to harbor freight i go...

A stock Datsun air cleaner will prevent that from going in from outside through the cleaner.

Very strange, and very mysterious. Never seen anything like it in 25 years of working on Datsuns.

yeah the stock one is in good shape too...

Couldn't have been there when you shut it off or you would have noticed it revving. Also the only way to get jammed in the secondary is if it was open enough for it to get in there. (may be a silly question) But when did you use the secondary last?

Better check the air filter and the filter housing. Take a good look at the thermostat with the vacuum lines that regulates the warmed air into the air cleaner snorkel. It may be coming apart.

the idle jacked up to 3k, and it dieseled when i shut it off so i know it was in there while it was running. pretty sure the poorly fitting gasket under the carb is what was holding it up

I know exactly what that is. That is a shim that is used to hold in one of the venturis on a hitachi carb that DOESN'T have the 2 screw removable venturis. I lost mine once and it went through the engine! Thats when I built a new engine and swapped to mikunis. This is the carb I rebuilt for my 620. You can see the shim.

pic.jpg

yeahhhhh mine is a cali model, but i never did remove the venturis when rebuilding. good thing i didn't throw that thing as far as i could in a fit of rage :)

Excellent! I thought the non removable Venturis were only for Kalifornians so they couldn't mess with them. .

this cali model i've got keeps surprising me with weird bs...

Im one up on you Mike lol. I hate the non removable venturi design, you cant change the packing, the removable is a much better design, and you can take em out for cleaning.

He is very lucky that the shim didnt get sucked down and through. The venturi that the shim fell out of is now probably loose and not functioning properly.

i'll take a look at it and see if its wiggly, but it drove alright and the secondaries seemed to operate fine after i got that shim unwedged from where it was stuck...

great carb pic btw

stuck.png

i've got a hitachi from an L16, would that thing run ok on my L20. I've also got a beat to shit weber setup that needs some parts to be complete...