Cylinder Head Tech Question

I tried searching this in a previous thread, I didn't find what I was looking for.

I have a A87 head on my L18. I have blown my head gasket. I would like to get head work done while the head is off the block. Through personal decisions I do not want to put a L20 in my car because the bottom end is just fine. I have called a local Datsun shop and he basically told me that any porting or larger valves would be foolish, granted most of the time my car will be street driven and it is a daily driver. I asked him about the BRE cars and how Ive read that all of the power is in the head on the L series motors in four cylinder form. He said that is correct but its made with a cam not valves. Ive read so many posts and threads here I know their are some smart guys on line here. Is this info true? Regardless if it is. What size valves can be machined into this A87 head? Also, What machine shop should I go to that has the knowledge of what is the correct port size and valve size. I live in Gresham. Thanks for every ones feedback. To me your knowledge is priceless.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

head work cost money.

a A87 is a good astart alreadfy compared to a L16 210 casting head.

It has the 1.65 in valves in there already. 280z 1.73 valves you need to add cost of machin work ,valves and the new bigger seats. all in all for a daily driver I wound not spend the money on this myself. a maybe a machine shop install the seats wrong and they fall out later anyways if it was a half ass shop.

Cams ,match porting are a most for more HP (most time with sidedrafts carbs)

new rockers lash pads ,springs,retainers

if you want to keep this on the cheap just get a basic rebuild and maybe open up the ports(and your intake)

and replace the head gasket( I myself would redo the tensioner up front also)

I do appreciate the input. What cam would you recommend? I would like the higher RPMs. I plan on doing a Custom intake manifold with Motorcycle carbs. My Dad had the setup on his 68 Corolla. He said it was amazing and now the current Cycle carbs have built in linkage. Also Honestly, I have never been able to find Rocker arms for it either. Are their such thing as roller rockers and roller cam for the Datsun? Who should I call or what web site?

Thanks!

I do appreciate the input. What cam would you recommend? I would like the higher RPMs. I plan on doing a Custom intake manifold with Motorcycle carbs. My Dad had the setup on his 68 Corolla. He said it was amazing and now the current Cycle carbs have built in linkage. Also Honestly, I have never been able to find Rocker arms for it either. Are their such thing as roller rockers and roller cam for the Datsun? Who should I call or what web site?

Thanks!

Looking for a good cam? I suggest this place:

http://www.webcamshafts.com

Search under 'Product Search', they list L series motors by name. These guys can get you a regrind or a new cam, your choice, based on cost. They also Nitride the cam, making them a lot more durable.

ive used colt cams up here and it costs, but boy what a great grind. rockers can be bought at nissan, or at least last time i did, it was expensive too. if you buy a re-ground cam you need thicker lash pads, so be ware of what your buying and what youll need. a new cam doesnt require the lash pad (most new cams) bigger valves arent worth it on most street motors, its really not worth the money. the mc carb setup sounds cool, lets see some pix when there installed!