Car Stalls When Comming To A Complete Stop

Zeusimo

Hey Everyone.

I Just Finished Making The 610 Drivable

Runs Good And Drives Like A Champ

But When Comming To A Complete Stop, It Stalls As If I Turned It Off

If I Slow Down Really Hard It Wants To Stall But Doesn't

To Stop I Have To Slow Down To Where I'm Bearly Rolling And Then Stop Completely

It Doesn't Do This When It's Idling

Just When I'm Comming To A Full Stop

I'm Kinda Confused... Idk

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it an automatic? It's most common on automatics, but can happen with manuals too.

There are several things that cause this syptom, including:

* Vacuum leak

* Idle set too slow

* Idle stop (dashpot) is loose

* Idle mixture is incorrect

It's probably a vacuum leak. It could be at the distributor diaphragm, air cleaner motor, choke pull off or a cracked rubber hose. If you have a vacuum leak, you can compensate by adjusting the idle speed & mixture screws to get a good idle, but it still won't run exactly right -- often it will die when stopping.

• Like 1

Disconnect the hose to the brake booster right at the manifold and plug it with duct tape or w/e. Try it now BUT: BE AWARE THE BRAKING PERFORMANCE WILL BE SEVERELY ALTERED REQUIRING MUCH MORE PEDDLE EFFORT. Try this only in a safe place.s

This is just a test to see if the hose or brake booster is the source of the vacuum leak.

My whole life I have heard it as the California Stop, maybe because I dont live in California. It really makes me mad when someone does that in front of me and then proceeds to drive 5mph under; I thought the person was in a hurry to go somewhere if they cant make a complete stop...

• Like 1

The law is you must come to a complete stop. In real life most don't because it's a waste of time I no one is coming but where do you draw the line? Roll through at 5mph? walking speed? running? Maybe just not even bother to slow if it's clear. I stop completely much of the time and come very close to a complete stop the ones I miss. I'm not perfect but if you start slacking in this you begin to take other liberties with your driving through sheer laziness and years of having nothing bad happen. As far as driving I go slightly over the limit, maybe 3-5 KPH. This way I'm speeding just like the jerk behind my and if I'm not going fast enough for him he can pass me or leave earlier the next day. I'm in no hurry to get to work or get home or anywhere else I'm going. I timed my drive to work and speeding vs. just driving saves at most less than a minute and I don't use my brakes hardly at all.

• Like 1

Had similar issues with vacuum leaks, I'd say check for that. The other two times I had similar issues were with fuel injected cars so may not help much, had air leaking into the intake past the MAF causing similar symptoms. I'd say check the carb(s) for obstructions or anything else that might throw off the air/fuel mix or impede/slow operation.