Plz help Nissan rear end no one has gears for

Ok so here's what I got I have a 1986 Nissan d21 5 speed vg30. Now the rear end is not the typical what I call front load.... It has the plate on the rear so the "pumpkin" is only the carrier ring and spider gears "has no limited slip" as some ppl have told me they came with. The ratio is 4.375 for sure. My plate seal went out and shredded my pinion gear. The problem I'm having is no one seems to have heard of the rear load that I have...salvage yards,ect.. So can anyone shed some light on this mystery for me? And if I can't find the gears for the model I have is it possible to swap mine for a front load model with little mods and without messin with my front diff.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's known as a Salisbury type differential. The Nissan ones are known as the CA-200 (200 being the ring gear diameter of 200mm) Whats odd here is that the CA-200s were only used with the 4 cylinder engines (Z24i and the KA24E) The VG engine used the H-233 rear end which bolts in from the front and does not have the cover on the back. Was your rear axle changed or possibly the VG motor swapped in???

Dunno spoke with my local Nissan dealer they are complete idiots...apparently every thing matches what came on the truck but they weren't for sure on the rear end truck came with a vg30 so I'm guessing that reared was swapped for a four cyl but then a Nissan tech said no it prob came with the rear load... So I'm very confused.. Really would rather just swap for the common pumpkin style but don't wanna screw with my front diff to make all fours turn the same or my drive shaft for that matter..is that even possible?

Well only one problem with that. The price tag from Nissan it's 978.23 I don't even have that much in the whole truck excluding the tires. I've been to every salvage yard around and no one has the ca-200s. Only the front bolts. Another strange thing is that all have been 4 cyl 2wd but none with the ca-200s. How much does the ring gear diameter differ on the h-233s? And so far the only place I've found the ring n pinion set is Nissan.

As far as the numbers go I'll have to post em tomorrow put rear end back together to be able to move the truck around.. Sorry tried to have all info available for y'all. But for sure is rear load and counted teeth to figure the ratio

Well only one problem with that. The price tag from Nissan it's 978.23 I don't even have that much in the whole truck excluding the tires. I've been to every salvage yard around and no one has the ca-200s. Only the front bolts. Another strange thing is that all have been 4 cyl 2wd but none with the ca-200s. How much does the ring gear diameter differ on the h-233s? And so far the only place I've found the ring n pinion set is Nissan.

check with west coast differential, they have any rear end part you can ever possibly think of and they know more about gears than anyone could or should ever know in 10 lifetimes. Good prices too! http://www.differentials.com/ you will probably have to just give them a call!

The 720 also used the C-200 but to get the correct 4.375 ratio you need to find a Cab/Chassis option. This is a truck without a box so;d for commercial use like with a cube van. The '82.5 and up 4x4 also had them but were, I believe a mixture of 4.11 and 4.375s. Just look on the small plate under the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender.

The price tag from Nissan it's 978.23

First they can't "find' the part, and now they want to cheat you on the price. Nissan list price for part number 38100-P0206 is about $600 USD.

Find another Nissan dealer and fast!

How much does the ring gear diameter differ on the h-233s?
They differ by exactly 33 millimeters, therefore they do not interchange. I would go to Pick-n-Pull and get a good used ring gear for $65. They have Pick-n-Pull up there too.

Would love to find another dealer however pretty much all dealers here are same way.... Far as the picknpull none have the knowledge of matching years with parts they go by truck n year so if the same rear end came on a 720 they wouldn't know cause they ain't lookin for the part but the whole truck.....hense why I asked what years ca200s came on so I may find all trucks in these salvage yards.

You might need a C200 rather than a CA200. These were different revisions I think.

The 4.3 ratio C200 gearset is *supposed* to come on these vehicles, but the Nissan information is not always correct... But if you go to a wrecking yard, you can look yourself. The ratio is stamped on the engine compartment plate.

1979-1980 720 Pickup automatic transmission (some)

1979-1985 720 Pickup 4WD (some)

1981-1983 720 pickup Longbed 4WD (some)

1983-1985 720 pickup 2WD (some)

1983-1985 720 pickup Z24 Long Bed (some)

And this is were I said my dealer was a complete idiot they said according to my truck it came with a vg30. Well did some diggin and found out that in 86 d21s 4x4 did not come with the vg30 engine only the z24is so I've been searching for a truck option that was never made.

I've seen many early Pathfinders with the C200 axle around here. Not that uncommon. I'd say go check your local pull and save, chances are they have the diff you're looking for.

The 720 2 and 4wd was produced up to 10 '85 (about half way through the '86 production year) There were only 4 cylinder gas and diesel motors available. From 11 '85 (that's half way through the '86 production year) the new D-21 Hardbody had both Z24i 4 cylinder and VG30 6 cylinder motors in 2 and 4wd.

I've seen many early Pathfinders with the C200 axle around here. Not that uncommon. I'd say go check your local pull and save, chances are they have the diff you're looking for.

This is also true. Pathfinders started production for the '87 model year and only the very earliest through '89 had the C200 and only on ones equipped with the Z24i motor. The ratio was 4.625. The VG30 motor was also available for all years and it had the H-233.

Had heard about the pathfinders but the ones I've looked at were all the h-233s if the only ratio available is 4.625 then it does me no good anyway less I change my front diff as well. According to the Nissan site my vin # comes up the z24i motor which is where I've been wrong all along then happened to glance at middle of hood and says disp 2.4 z24i. So I know a guy who has some datsun trucks with the 2.4 gonna see about those. Thx for all the help I've just been having idiot moments over this truck

Looks like a lot of split years and crap to sort through. Thought I'd throw it up here, once you narrow down what it actually came in... lol

www.car-part.com does a pretty good job locating things, maybe get lucky and someone close to you will have one listed. If not most salvage yards will ship item as well.

untitled-2.jpg

If you were a customer of mine, I would advise swapping out the rear axle for the larger and more common 233. It's likely to just bolt in. And if it doesn't, some new spring perches and shock mounts off your old axle will make sure it does. If you found the axle with the right ratio, most yards in the country can ship nowadays for a lot less than you might think. I bet you'd only be out $500 including shipping, installation not included of course.

Kisor showed a snapshot of the www.car-part.com page, use it, it's a great resource.

• Like 1

Well there'd only be one problem wit ur theory so far it's a 4x4 truck so if the front ring s 200 mm and the rear ring is 233mm then the front end is gonna wind up under the truck cause the rear end is going faster and yes I'm going to keep it a four wheel drive

Well there'd only be one problem wit ur theory so far it's a 4x4 truck so if the front ring s 200 mm and the rear ring is 233mm then the front end is gonna wind up under the truck cause the rear end is going faster and yes I'm going to keep it a four wheel drive

Gear ratios have to match.

^^ What? Only if they don't make the same ratios in the 2 different ring gear sizes. The fact of the 200 vs 233 diameters makes no difference.

What he said...