Tranny ID FS5W71B (1980 200sx) dogleg?720 manual swap

I am trying to do auto to manual swap on my 1985 720. There are a few nice tranny's at local junk yard one is from a 1980 200sx but I need to know if its a dogleg or not? Everything I found says 77-79 200sx came with dogleg but not sure about 80 200sx? Also there was a nice 240sx with KA24e 5 speed. Which one would be better for swap?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '80-'81 200sx used a wide ratio box with a low 3.592 first gear, same as used in all 720 4x4s, where the 2wd 720s used a 3.321 first gear. It will give you slightly easier take-offs with slightly more acceleration. You may notice that you have to shift into second half way through an intersection. Highway speeds will be the same for either so no worries there.

If you measure the length of your automatic and it's about 31.5" long then the 200sx 5 speed will fit without driveshaft shortening, so I would go with that. If for some reason they are way different and you are going to have to shorten the driveshaft then I would go with the 240sx FS5W71C transmission. It will have middle ratio gears suited for a 2wd and a bonus 0.759 overdrive 5th gear which your Z24 should easily handle.

• 2 weeks later...