Dads old 80 720, my new mini truck!

Dead91silvia

So this is half the reason I got on this forum and also a friend said I would like it over here...

The story of this truck is long. My dad got it Bran new from Delrige Datsun in Seattle in 1980. It was at one time a really nice truck! He paid cash and it was also some what of a wedding gift to my mom, even though it was his. She never got to drive a new car before this one, just beaters.

Well, life took a turn for the worst when my brother was 16 (hes 12 years older then me and a half brother), the truck was 4, he took it to the hills and got it all scratched up, dad was not happy! Well, in 1988, my sister (11 years older and also half blood) was coming to pick me up from school (she was a senior in high school, I was in 2nd grade I think, she rear ended a New Mercedes. Dad was mad, but it was my sister and she always got special treatment since she was the girl... haha... That was the complete demise of the Clean little Datsun.

I started to drive it in High School (about 1996-97) and I beat the living crap out of it mechanically and blew a trans and a clutch. However, I did start to replace all the messed up body panels from my sister crashing the poor thing...

Well, dad drove it up till about 4 years ago, when some Jack Wagon stole the POS from our driveway! It came back 2 months later, after he got a 1990 Toyota 4x4 truck. We just kept it around because it wasnt worth selling. I was going to loan it indefinitely to a friend, but then realized I'm the only one that knows how to get it running and stuck it over at a buddys house for the last year...

I brought it home a few weeks ago and got started... I have always wanted to build a full out custom mini truck and to a 720. This one is perfect since no one wants it and also the history I have with it. The build date of the truck was Feb 1980, I was born in April 1981, I dont know life without it... So I told my dad I was taking it and gonna have some fun!

Everything will be done in stages...

Stage one: Lower it (cheaply haha), make it one color (thinking WWII ZERO green), fix all the mechanical problems, make it driveable, replace core support.

Stage two: 5 lug Toyota conversion, mock up for 4 link and air bags front and rear.

Stage three: Body drop 3-4 inches

Stage four: real paint! Volvo Lazer blue (V70R color), original powder blue, or who knows...

Stage five: Converting to Electric power. Yes, I want to make it Electric...

Anyway, here is the truck... She's basically still stock. L20B, 5 speed, Honda Civic seats. The body is a mismatch like crazy. Only original panel is the cab. Hood-80, cowl-81, right fender-85, box-84, tailgate-83, tail lights (2 sets, chrome and black)-84, L&R doors-80, and I cant remember the rest... haha.. oh yeah, Grill, bumper, and valence are from an 85 4x4. Thats reason it needs a core support, lights dont line up.

Before a clean and lowering...

IMG_9324.jpg

Washed and lowered 4 inches...

IMG_9343.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quite a unique find. thought mine was the only one with more than 2 seperate years parts lol good luck with this one, can't wait to see some more progress

It really looks like a POS, but under its still a good truck. When I can get it running and warmed up, she runs great! I would love a set of DCOE's, but I'm not looking to spend much. I have so many other projects.

I'll get some more pics uploaded later... Next big thing is collector plates. This is my 3rd truck, so it doesnt need to pull truck duty anymore.

Here we go... more pics... I lowered it the ghetto way... torsion bars and blocks... haha... already had the blocks and u-bolts...

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

Before the bath!

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

And parked next to my 94 Toyota work truck... Yes, the Toyota has a 94 4x4 4Runner front end swap.. I cant leave things alone!

IMG_9347.jpg

Lol, talk about mis matched body parts! Grill and front valence from an 84+, rear trail gate from an 83 or 84, same as the bed... Front fenders could be original given the side/corner markers, but with the rear ending your sister did it isn't likely either... I bet the only thing that is an 80 is the cab and MAYBE motor...prob doesn't even have the right trans if you blew it, lol....

still makes for one whole ratsun... Good luck and have fun with it, looking forward to progress pics

Yeah, it really is a miss match... Motor is original. My dad did a head gasket when I was a kid, but thats all for the motor. As for the trans, this is it's 3rd. The first one was killed by an exchange student when I was 7. I replaced the 2nd one when I was 17 since 2nd and reverse were toast with a trans out of my uncles 720.

My uncle got a yellow one about a month after my dad! Everything was the same, other then color, king cab and everything! The left fender and doors are from the truck. My cousin had a head on with another car and took out the right side and bent the frame.

• 4 weeks later...

Got some work done!

I got a bug up my butt and got out the drill and Sawzall... heh heh...

The core support was FUBAR from year ago when my sister crashed it... Also the batt tray was rusted to hell. I have had a new/used core support sitting in the weeds for a few years and just got around to wanting to install it.

Before

IMG_9420.jpg

IMG_9421.jpg

Main reason for the core support... 85 4x4 grill... 80 core support... dont line up too well...

IMG_9422.jpg

IMG_9424.jpg

IMG_9425.jpg

And the other reason.... Rust....

IMG_9427.jpg

Took me about 40 minutes to get this far... only one broke 10mm bolt...

IMG_9428.jpg

IMG_9430.jpg

rusty

IMG_9431.jpg

the new parts

IMG_9432.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a truck they are parting out local that has a rust free battery tray and right side wheelwell? Only thing holding me up. I didnt realize how rusty the parts were till starting this project. I dont feel like building it...

• 1 month later...

Got some work done... Picked up a wheel well from Pick and Pull for $20. Didnt have any work yesterday so I got everything welded in...

Getting it prepped...

IMG_0143.jpg

The rusty crap vut out..

IMG_0144.jpg

New wheel well... Batt tray is not that great, but it's a million times better then the old one.

IMG_0147.jpg

Fitted...

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Welded....

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Time for the new core support!

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Had to do a patch panel by the body mount...

IMG_0165.jpg

Good enough for who its for... LOL

IMG_0166.jpg

A little bit of primer for now... She will get ripped apart some day and done up right when/if I body drop it...

IMG_0167.jpg

All back together! No more funny looking headlights hiding under the grill! Now has the full 85-84 4x4 front end.

IMG_0170.jpg

Nice, I have that grill and lights and 2 of the originals, tho I prefer the 4x4 grill I have to mod/replace the lower valance to make it work. My battery tray was custom due to the big @ss battery I installed. I would say scrounge up a weber 32/36, clear the smog crap and you would be golden. If you have any issues, PoorMans720 is a localish guy to you and Pumpkin is pretty quick on swapping motors. What kills me tho is all the 720's popping up over there after I leave...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It's been fun to paint up! My Volvo project has been burning me out and hard getting parts for the Pulsar, but this one always has something I can do and it's cheap. I keep looking at in the front yard and cant wait to take it for a spin! B)