My 74 orange 620 and its tranny issues

ALLCAPS

Hey Ratsun!

I'm new.

Here is my lil' truck i got a few months back.

GvFa0.jpg

Did the front disc conversion:

cORez.jpg

Had to get bigger rims, so i went with Wheel Vintiques Rallye's. 15x8 up front with a 1/4" spacer & 195/65. 15x10 in the rear & 235/55.

m0WVs.jpg

yuaVj.jpg

f9AN9.jpg

ztN2J.jpg

M6P2T.jpg

I was excited about the nice rake i had going and was preparing to daily drive this sweet beast when the tranny let go.

So Ratsun- what should i do? It was an automatic that crapped out and i would much rather drive a 4 or 5 speed.

What am in for if i attempt an auto to manual conversion?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to teh internet. Home of the trolls.

Nice truck!

You're gonna need to find a few things.

A: Pedal assembly from a manual truck.

B: Clutch master and hard lines

C: Clutch slave

D: Good 4/5 speed transmission. I THINK the auto had the same length as the 71B 4 speed which matched the ZX 5 speed.

E: Good clutch. Exedy makes a good clutch.

I'm sure I'm missing something here.

You will need everything Metalmonkey47 indicated, as well as, a flywheel, the rubber hydraulic line for the slave and, also the metal floor cover for the standard trans. When I converted mine I also changed the wiring harness that was from the standard truck.

Oh and you will also need the metal dust/spacer plate that goes between the block and trans from the standard truck and, the t/o bearing and collar from the same. That's all I can remember...I did mine almost ten years ago.

• 4 months later...

You should mention what year your truck is. (would save me some typing :lol: )

If a '72-'73 the tranny (auto) is a short so you will need a short 4 speed like from a 510 or 710 if you want to avoid shortening lengthening the driveshaft. You will need a 5 bolt hole flywheel.

If a '74 or newer it has a long automatic and a long 4 or 5 speed from a newer truck can be used. This longer 4 or 5 speed can also be used in the early truck if you get the front half of a later driveshaft and change the rear tranny mount. The newer trucks use a shorter driveshaft to allow a longer tranny. You will need a 5 bolt hole flywheel is a '74 (L18) or a 6 bolt if an L20B engine.

This my freind could be a real nightmare. But If you want to come down to salem, Oregon. I have a complete L16 engine and a dog leg 5 speed I will sell you. I will make you a deal. $400.00 for the package. This will include everything you need except the clutch pedal and clutch cylinder resivor that bolts on to the firewall. It bolts up like your break master cylinder. I would think that a clutch pedal and the clutch resivor could be used from any datsuns.

If a '74 or newer it has a long automatic and a long 4 or 5 speed from a newer truck can be used. This longer 4 or 5 speed can also be used in the early truck if you get the front half of a later driveshaft and change the rear tranny mount. The newer trucks use a shorter driveshaft to allow a longer tranny. You will need a 5 bolt hole flywheel is a '74 (L18) or a 6 bolt if an L20B engine.

The FS5W63a dogleg is a short 5 speed, and while it will fit the '74... the driveshaft will be too short. You will need to lengthen it or get a longer '72-'73 front driveshaft.