Do your quarter windows stay open at speed? Mine don't...

josh817

Curious if any of you guys have an innovative way to keep them open when going faster than 30MPH. Father says to get two small hammers and sandwich the rivet pivot so it's tighter. It would have to be pretty darn tight to hold them open at 50MPH though! I was thinking about making some simple wooden wedges or something that stay in place by the clamping force the window will create by scooping air. It's my only A/C, and it doesn't work until 70MPH on a hot day!

Also just a side question if anyone knows of the top of their head what thread the water outlet is at the back of L heads for the heater. Wanting to buy a water valve from the hardware store. Having to pull the motor to do a tranny swap so I can just as well drill and tap for a different thread if I had to.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to take the door handles, card/panel off, I had this door right outside that I cut a patch panel out of, so I took a few photos of what you are up against, if it is rusty, good luck.

It might be easier to remove the wingwindow assembly, but as you can see, there is a hole 2/3rds down the door directly below, so if you can squirt WD40 on the threads and spring, maybe you can use extentions to get a socket onto the smaller jam nut and get it loose, then use a bigger deep socket to tighten the bigger nut, but first I would feel up there with your hand and see if you can feel if the spring is broken.

I vote for removing the whole wingwindow assembly myself, but I usually break at least one of the bolts holding that in also, so that will need to be fixed also.

BTW, I find it easier to just leave the wingwindow shut. :lol:

DSCN1443.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1444.jpg

• Like 1

You have to take the door handles, card/panel off, I had this door right outside that I cut a patch panel out of, so I took a few photos of what you are up against, if it is rusty, good luck.

It might be easier to remove the wingwindow assembly, but as you can see, there is a hole 2/3rds down the door directly below, so if you can squirt WD40 on the threads and spring, maybe you can use extentions to get a socket onto the smaller jam nut and get it loose, then use a bigger deep socket to tighten the bigger nut, but first I would feel up there with your hand and see if you can feel if the spring is broken.

I vote for removing the whole wingwindow assembly myself, but I usually break at least one of the bolts holding that in also, so that will need to be fixed also.

BTW, I find it easier to just leave the wingwindow shut. :lol:

DSCN1443.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1444.jpg

wayno thanks for that input.I was sure but but not sure and now you made it all easier.I was wondering if you or anybody else thought about one piece windows.I would like to that but dont want it to be a big hassle considering i already bought the oem wing window rubbers for a mint.But if i could convert fairly easy i would and just sell the rubbers.Any thoughts.thanks

Just cut Plexiglas (or better yet, expensive scratch-resistant Lexan) the shape you want. It's easy if you don't care about rolling the windows up & down.

Several guys have done this for Datsun 1200 pickups, but I've not seen it done for Datsun 320 pickups.

Just cut Plexiglas (or better yet, expensive scratch-resistant Lexan) the shape you want. It's easy if you don't care about rolling the windows up & down.

Several guys have done this for Datsun 1200 pickups, but I've not seen it done for Datsun 320 pickups.

Thanks i know about lexan but i want it to roll up and down,i was thinking if any one tried 620 roll ups in a 521 because they are on e piece.

yes, understood. The point i was trying to make (and failed apparently) is that it's the mechanism that's hard to do (but the 'glass' is easy). If the 620 channels and regulator will fit a 521 that would be a huge win.

why cant you use the same mechanism,the door is not wide enough to cause issue.but i get it.

The only thing Nissan didn't make accessible... hah, I will just make wood wedges to go between the glass and the B pillar I think its commonly called. I saw that big opening directly below the nut, way at the bottom of the door but me thinks that's sorcery.

Can't hurt to try.

Actually... Maybe I will cut away parts of the inside of the door. I made sheet metal door panels that would hide all of that shit anyway. The holes are just big enough to fit half my arm but not the elbow! I have bits of broken door handle down at the bottom of one of the doors that I just barely can't reach. I need one of them aluminum magnets!

As for plexiglass or plastic or whatever, I don't see why someone can't cut their own. Speaking for the 521, if I remember correctly the mechanism just sandwiches the glass. Should be pretty simply to make square windows, can't say much for the wing windows. Some pictures of Datsun mechanics beating on glass with hammers:

21cf7er.jpg

2mrd7de.jpg

• 2 months later...

There is an issue with this image, the door operation lever that moves the window up and down is on the wrong side of the door opener lever shaft that goes to the door lock mechanism.

I don't know where this photo came from, but it is not for a datsun 520/521 or 320.

21cf7er.jpg

As you can see in the image below, the door opening handle/mechanism lever is on the outside of the front door channel, this means that a one piece window deletes that mechanism, so another setup to open the door from the inside has to be designed, I have been thinking about this, as I want my door opener handle to be in the stock position for the 520/521, and the 320, I know what I am going to do, I just have to source the parts I need, and I will post a thread on it when it is perfected.

DSCN1441.jpg

As with the original poster mine stay open til about 35mph. I just bought a set out of the junk yard and it was a pain in the ass to get them out. For those who have done it and think it's easy good for you but I had to drop down the whole window regulator mechanism with the glass and that inner door handle shaft. I dont think I could get them back in if I had too without a long fight. Since it's my beater I'm going to leave them just the way they are.

All the wing windows on my 3 521 close around 30-40 mph.

As with the original poster mine stay open til about 35mph. I just bought a set out of the junk yard and it was a pain in the ass to get them out. For those who have done it and think it's easy good for you but I had to drop down the whole window regulator mechanism with the glass and that inner door handle shaft. I dont think I could get them back in if I had too without a long fight. Since it's my beater I'm going to leave them just the way they are.

All the wing windows on my 3 521 close around 30-40 mph.

its not hard to do just time consuming,unbolt all bolts drop the lock mechanism out to lower the roll up glass all the way down pull regulator out of window pull it out drop glass to bottom pull your door runer channel felts out and pull back and up and out of the door.And of course reverse for install its a simple fix and well worth it in the end and should cost you nothing.