Ok I've worked at gig harbor auto body for about 4 1/2 years now. i still only make 9.00 an hour, Total BUll$hit. anyone own a body shop or know of anyone looking to find a great detailer. I've worked at a detail shop 6 days a week with a buffer in my hands all day. Seriously, go to home depot.com and look up a dewalt dw849 yea that thing. I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck, and thats tight as it is. Will also work around anyones house for 10.00 an hour. I have a reliable 71 datsun 521 i drive daily:fu:. so any feed back would be great. and yes i will put some pics on soon. Tanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is absolute BS that they still pay you $9 an hour after that long!What a bunch of fuckers.The cost of living has gone way up in the past 4 years.More than an insult!

I would suggest you write up a good resume and drop it off at all the local body shops,dealerships and repair shops or look for a new career.There are a couple detail wash shops around.One in port orchard and silverdale that I know of.I used to work at the one in PO and I made $11 about 6-1/2 years ago.

Good luck,I will let you know if I hear of anything available.

I thought $10.25 working on 2000 and newer cars in all weather is pathetic...

I'm joining the millwrights cause my last raise caused a tax increase and I make less now than I did at $9.50.

Want that job? lol

I can vouch for Jerol. He is a hard worker and to be @ one job for so long you know he has to be reliable and good @ what he does. Jerol you are still young and you can make a career change. You need to look deep into your soul and decide what is rite for YOU. Hainz'z idea aint to bad. :blink: Join the

service. Go find a construction job. You have talked to my friend Tom and see how fucked up he is after doing body work for 20 plus years.

Dont sell yourself short. At the same time tho know that you dont know shit and still have a lot to learn. I will definitely be calling on your services this summer for some help.

:fu:

You better bring the beer next time you come over to work on your truck!:mad:

Ive worked for the State of Oregon for nine years. We have the Weakest Union their is When the State realized they were breaking a huge contract with all of their Limited Duration people like me who should have only been employeed for six months but was for two years, they decided to hire all females first, all married men second and then I barely got in their as a permanent employee because I was single. I was hired three months before the deadline or else I would have been SOL. The reason they hired in that order is so no one would have the guts to strike! So now we barely anything but we get free health care. Now that I'm married yes I'm thankful but our Union is so so weak they put in the contract that we will Not Strike. If your wondering, I work for DEQ and I test your cars. So I will do my best to be friendly and professional when Yall come in to see me but I don't take no shit! Good luck on the job hunt. Go to your states employment office and meet with a representative. Tell them your skills and also your interests. They will find you a job because its their job to do so. <>

Guest Rick-rat

Put in an application at the shipyard, they are hiring to replace the large amount of people that will be retiring in the next 5 years or so. You will need to also take an ACCUPLACER test which will help you to be considered for a job as a helper. If you want more info pm me with your phone# and I will do what I can.

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Ok I've worked at gig harbor auto body for about 4 1/2 years now. i still only make 9.00 an hour, Total BUll$hit. anyone own a body shop or know of anyone looking to find a great detailer. I've worked at a detail shop 6 days a week with a buffer in my hands all day. Seriously, go to home depot.com and look up a dewalt dw849 yea that thing. I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck, and thats tight as it is. Will also work around anyones house for 10.00 an hour. I have a reliable 71 datsun 521 i drive daily:fu:. so any feed back would be great. and yes i will put some pics on soon. Tanks

have you tried to ask for a raise??

In my old job I would call this crap a greek(in the restaurant industry they are the cheapest mofos,Why not try to do prep and such??does it not pay more??)

I feal guilty now,I have been at the job I just started 2 months now,Knew nothing about it(Kitchen cabinets)And already have recieved a buck an hour raise ,:D,And the next to be by the end of this month

They say i am a quick learner:blink:

I went in the Airforce and Never regretted it!!!!!!!

I loved my time in the Army - wouldn't change a thing, except the injury part...:eek:

Pick a job you want to learn, they'll teach you everything you need to know, and some things you didn't. You get to see the world and all you really have to do is show up for work, listen to your superiors and keep your nose clean. Not a bad deal, really.

They thanks for all of the support guys, and now i am going to change careers . I've my going to get my cdl and be a truck driver. Going to CDS on june 23 and last day of that fuckin place on 20 of june. Going to be working for con-way, and they will pay for the school and hire you after you graduate, and sometimes even before you graduate. its great. i'll keep everyone up to date , k. thanks for the advise again!

lifted2wdatsun, very smart decision:)! I drive a commercial vehicle myself for the last 7 years and its been very good to me and my family:D! Truck Drivers are the back bone of the economy and we need more good drivers on the road! Again, Very good decision:):)!

Getting an education is key!!

This is the single most important thing anyone can do. Yes there is a ton of BS in college but you learn how to learn, how to focus and how to succeed. Get an education and advance...

• 2 weeks later...

I went to cds 2 1/2 years ago.best decision I made. I went to worksource to see about training for a job ,hell,any job. They set me up. I filled out the paperwork for western pacific (across the street from cds) told them i needed a night course so i could still do somethinghfor some money. They told me no problem we have one starting in a week. Just before i was to start they said your confirmed for 0800 start time on mon morn. this was friday. then oh we dont have night classes, just day. my wife called cds that day, fri ,and i started cds mon eve.good people.

Is con way going to make you sign a contract for 1 or 2 years service for the school or deduct it from your earnings. or is it free and clear a gift?

talk to their drivers and dockworkers, see how they are treated. Are they happy? not happy? with their treatment, pay, bonus?

There are a mutitude of companies out their looking for drivers.Take some time, ask around ,look at their websites compare benifits, some have better medical for less money, but no sick or personal time off. 401K??

The spot I was in ,worksource was my solution. They paid for school but not any money to survive on while attending.

If you have any questions pm me.

good luck

Sorry to hear that..besides being a backyard mechanic and a collector of sort of ol skool cars, my real job is a Career Counselor. Been doing this for like 19 years and I love it...which comes to mind. Find out what you really want to do 1). take some test to determine your interest and career aptitude 2). you get paid for what you know and what you can offer, mainly skills. 3). Typically detailers or any job that deals with working with your hands, besides a certified mechanic, plumber, electrician or HVAC tech, the pay will be low. 4). Employers and specially small businesses will not have the funds to pay you what you desire since a lot of businesses are struggling to stay afloat these days. 5). In order for you to make money or have enough to pay for your bills and maybe save some, you will need a career that has potential for growth. 6). In order for things to change in our life so that it goes in your favor, you will need to take charge 7). What you are going through right now, is a sign to examine where you are at and where you should go. 8). More than 1/2 of Americans can't stand their jobs, which is sad since we spent more than 8 hours/day at our job, less the traffic we have to fight.

Other things to consider is whether or not you enjoy learning since you will have to go to school (i.e. adult ed., vocational, college, univeristy) to gain marketable skills, this is where that career asmt. earlier I was referring to. BTW, there are a lot of free asmt on line or go the library ( a good book is "what color is your parachute").

Here's and analogy, you are getting bad mpg on you Datsun and so you are pissed off and yet not sure what to do, so the best thing is to figure out why it's doing that. Good luck and any other questions, pls. feel free to PM me.

RacerX

yea i can feel ya man, i worked at nissan dealership for years and never got a raise. i said i need more money, they said well, work harder! what a effin crock! all the while our owner was buildin a 4 million dollar yacht, and when christmas came around he gave 20$ foodlion certificates!!! and you couldnt even buy beer with it! man, im getting depressed. good luck

thanks for all of the advise guys. Also i do detail on the side, been doing it for about 4 years now and have all of my own supplies. All i need is an extension cord for my buffer and vacuum and a hose for my pressure washer. also do just was and waxes for $50-$70 ($70 for big suburbans and such). :fu: