Best Air Conditioning solution?

I dont know much about AC. As far as I know, the best way to go would be to buy a parts truck with an AC system, convert the parts to the new chemical then have it charged, which can get pretty expensive.

Am I on the right track here? What have you guys done?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I live right up the way from you and work in Lakewood so I know the drill. It can get warm, but Ive never needed anything more than a rolled down window. Now in the house is another story. I cant take enough clothes off to get cooler it seems.

Well I got a guy from Atlanta saying 'roll your window down' so now Im feeling kind of like a pussy.

Still I work outdoors and I have the money to get this done, so, any real solutions?

well if you are set on this. i might have alot of the parts you could use. I have the pump, and the radiator, and some pipes and wiring, and guess all the internals you will need. I believe in the faster i go, the cooler it will be.... And i built half doors, so that will help too... but i guess you could do the opposite of what i did... put it back on.

Well I got a guy from Atlanta saying 'roll your window down' so now Im feeling kind of like a pussy.

Still I work outdoors and I have the money to get this done, so, any real solutions?

Hell man, I still don't know how I do it. lol

In all seriousness, theres a guy down here parting out a '74 620 with FULL A/C components if you're interested. I'm sure you could adapt it over to a 720.

Hell man, I still don't know how I do it. lol

In all seriousness, theres a guy down here parting out a '74 620 with FULL A/C components if you're interested. I'm sure you could adapt it over to a 720.

How much?

i run the Z22 so everything will fit.... i got it sitting all in my pile of parts... still have to take the pump off. it looks like its a hassle to do. i guess the only thing you would have to get is the pipes and belt. Could be a good start to convert over to the AC

At a minimum the drier should be replaced whenever the system is opened to the air. Likely you would also want to replace the orifice/expansion valve (or equivalent), the o-rings, and flush the system. If you convert to R134a, the hoses should be replaced with barrier hoses. If not replaced the hoses will slowly leak R134a. The 620/720's are old enough to all be R12. The "compatible" refrigerants (e.g., Freeze 12) DO NOT REPLACE R12 directly! Avoid them! There are a couple of legal hydrocarbon based replacements out there, although they are mostly just propane (which works with R12 hoses and such just fine but is not legal). R12 can still be purchased and it usually works better on the older setups, you just need to get the license online to purchase (EPA section 609) the test is about $20 to take online and is relatively easy. Replace the oil with a synthetic if possible, there are few available that are miscible with practically all refrigerants. The vacuum pump can be rented from Autozone, and maybe the gauge set also, this is free but requires a deposit. Change out the oil on the vacuum pump before using it.

• Like 2

Since I like to make stuff, I was considering something like this...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-12V-Air-Conditioner---Cheap-and-easy!/

There are tons of variations on this design all over the internets. You could also look for a swamp cooler like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-North-Aire-Car-Swamp-Cooler-/270972802246?hash=item3f173cd4c6&item=270972802246&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

They show up on CL and ebay from time to time often in the $50-$100 range. That's cheaper than the refrigerant alone in a traditional factory system. You'll probably use it less than 5 days a year anyway.

hmmm... nice. I might try the ice chest one... I did something similar that ran thru tubes on a shirt i wore under my fire suit when i raced back in high school. Texas summer, 110 degrees. Asphalt, 150 degrees... in a fire suit, inside a Allison Legacy, 398 degrees... It just pumped cold water thru an ice chest and then thru the shirt.

There's a few variations in the DIY AC boxes. I think the style that uses a heater core or transmission cooler with a small marine bilge pump and a small computer fan would work pretty well. Pretty low amp draw should be safe to plug into the cigarette lighter. If you shop on the cheap I would expect you could build one for under $50. It's kinda cool to see how elaborate some guys get with those things. People can come up with some really overcomplicated "solutions".

Wow I never heard of either of those, I might try the swamp cooler.

Rustina.. WTH is that lol. Also.. not so sure it looks cool.

And thanks for the very informative reply Dguy