Having bad luck with fishing

I think, I'm doing something wrong...

For the past week or so I have been going out fishing everyday after work. I get off at about 5:00 and get to the lake/river by about 5:30. This is my first time owning a license and going somewhere that's not a private pond stocked with bass. I don't have boat just yet so I'm stuck shore fishing, its no problem because I fish in coves, or off docks, casting out wherever necessary. So far I would say I've fished a good 16 hours and have only caught one fish. I've used power bait, worms, lures, and some green rubber worm things.

Just need some good advice for fishing bass or trout from the shore at dusk. I know fishing is a waiting game but I'm dying over here lol. Feel free to brag about the fish you've caught so far. My envy will probably motivate me some more :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for trout it should be easy if your fishing on a regulated lake just call the front entrance and ask when they stock trout, 2 days after stock should be good. 3rd day stripped bass should start coming to try and eat the trout. for large mouth bass look around and find were the bass boaters go. ask the locals be very polite because they are stingy with info. look up Tasmanian devil bait they are good

Need to realize that there are lots and lots of other people fishing that exact same place. Need to find those spot that are less traveled by bank fisherman. Water temps should be rising, so the bass should be moving, getting ready for the prespawn. They'll should be holding by dropoffs and deep structure around swallow flat areas. Try and fish areas that gets the most sun. Water warms up quicker there. Also remember that they are still slugish, so slow down your retrieved and use smaller profile baits.

But if you already know all that, Nevermind.

Larry

I just read and look online. what is big right now is the umbrella rig. "alabama rig" and those seem to be getting good results. I am more of a salt water type of guy where my friends and I caught some stuff yesterday..

Here check out the alabama rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VRvYPodRE

I think the first thing abotut fishing is how to tie knots, then learning tipes of rigs, then using the tipe of bait.

When we were trying to rid our private lake of bass that someone dumped in (which bred like rats, and started killing off the trout), I found that simple Dick Night spoons worked really well on bass. Even simply casting from shore and slowly reeling back in. There was a shallow pool in one of the arms of the lake with a beach and I'd get baby bass to chase the lure right up onto the beach. Not an effective way to get rid of bass. In the end we ended up killing off the whole lake, let it recover from the Rotenone we used to kill it off, then restocked trout 2 years later. I digress.

The problem is, though, larger bass don't stay near the beach unless there are a lot of frog or salamander eggs to eat. So the best spots are the ones where there are trees and branches in the water... not best for fishing. So we caught the biggest ones in the deeper parts of the lake when they were chasing pollywogs. Never any that were more than 8-10" though. After we Rotenone'd the lake, we had 18" bass float up. They'd been in there a while.

But all I ever used were Dick Night spoons or Acme casting lures. Worked on both trout and bass. I haven't fished in a LONG time, except a little catch and release in a river just for the hell of it 5 or 6 years ago.