1st Gen Maxima to buy or not to buy?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my buddy has it and he is taking good care of it I was going to help him work on it yesterday and today, but I have stupid school work that I have to get done for my class, and I have a shift to work tomorrow so I don't have time. He is replacing the headgasket as it was leaking water around cylinder #1 and it looked like it was about to give up the ghost.

Actually it's a 240-Z motor with FI.

THese cars are getting scarce.I haven't seen one down here in 10 years.More 810's than early Max's.

Its not even a 240Z engine... the crank has different size rod bearings and isn't compatible with any other L6 stuff. The L24E's cylinder head is pretty rocking though.

240 block from 70-to 84

70 to 81 the rods were 1.968

82 to 84 the rods were 1.770

Head was from a L-28

Stroke was the same through out

Head WAS NOT from an L28!

The N47 on an L28 was an open chamber cylinder head.

The Maxima N47(a.k.a. MN47) is a CLOSED CHAMBER head with an internally oiled camshaft. The fuel pump hole is cast through on some of them, others have a block off plate, I've seen it both ways.

The Maximas got a lot of miles put on them, so the heads usually have a lot of miles on them. One I pulled had 230,000 miles on it but the head was within .004" of straight, well within the OEM tolerance of .008".

• 2 months later...

Im not sure. They are R180 differential specific because of the 25 spline shaft. The only other CV axle and R180 I can think of is the 85-88 200sx, but I dont know if the length is the same. I can get the Nissan part number for the maxima axles and compare to the 200sx number. Both are kinda rare cars though. Even remanufactured ones are up there in price. I dont even want to know what Nissan would charge me. Any suggestions?

There was a 1st gen Max in a JY near Crossville TN last year. I did not look to see if the rear axle's were intact, it was mostly a shell. I'll see if I can find it on the map and give you a number to call.

I have a set of rebuild cvs from a 1st gen I'll sell. You can click and look through my build thread to see me rebuild them and what they looked like after. I have a stock welded dif as well if you want to have some fun. Pics on pages 3/4

• 2 weeks later...