Engine problem. HELP

Steroid

Hey guys, I hardly never, ever look in the engine topic area. With this in mind, maybe most of You don't either. But I have a problem and need help. Please read what I've started on Chain Tensioner Broken and give Me Your 2 cents worth. Thanks!!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have removed the head before to remove the timing cover and ended up with a rip in the pan gasket anyway that leaked like a bitch.Best to remove the radiator,the steering arm and replacing the pan gasket.The head gasket is much stronger so it will be ok.You can just loosen the water pump to block bolt without taking the whole pump off.Shouldnt be too much work.

OK. Thanks to Hainz for the video and Mark for telling Me about it! I think that I can leave the head alone and gently seperate the oilpan away at the bottom. I might not even have to remove the steering crossbar. What scared the *#^# out of Me now looks like an easy fix. Unless I missed something, the first 17 minutes of the video showed Me just what I wanted to know. Thanks again!! What broke was the "tight side guide" chain tensioner. I wonder what caused that to happen?????

Take a good look at the actual chain tensioner down near the bottom on the pass side. Maybe it came out and all the slack chewed into the driver's side guide. Nothing that can't be fixed. If something like that broke, replace both the guides and the hydraulic tensioner, maybe even the chain too.

Check for chain scrub marks inside timing cover too.

Mike it probably broke due to old age. Like D-mike said while your in there check for wear on the timimg chain cover. & maybe replace parts while its apart. Watch the vid in the beginning too Mike, "time" the head & see where the 'V" groove is on the cam pulley, that should tell you if th etiming chain has stretched/off a tooth.

you said it, not me, but here ya go retard :lol::lol:http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129&highlight=faq it took me less than 2 seconds to find it using the search button

PM sent to dwnshfter with the links and a note.................:mad:

Please don't get TOOOOOOO pissed off at him......:(

oh by no means was I trying to be mean, I was just trying to be a smart ass, and Im sorry if it came out sounding mean

I rebuilt a L18 a while back and it was absolutely great.I neglected to replace the chain guides and they shattered.Old ass plastic in a high heat area like that will get brittle and the higher the revs the more strain against it.Live and learn I guess.

Its a bit tight but you do not necessarily have to remove the steering arm on a 620 to pull the oil pan but it helps.The same goes for removing the radiator for the rest.The work involved to take them out outweighs the struggle to get around them.

y it took me less than 2 seconds to find it using the search button

i was looking in the wrong place, i thought it was a thread in the how to section, i didnt even TRY to search there. well i never saw the video, but i have read that thread SEVERAL times.....i reference it a lot actually. why would i be baned?

Hi guys........... Still haven't done it yet. Busy all week and Mother's Day today. Maybe this week. I see what You mean, though, as I am removing the GUIDES (that must be the accurate term) off of another engine and see what is in there.