from low and slow to high and mighty

Mr.Dean_Yates

so those of you who have fallowed my first thread for my truck you already know that it was dumped for the most part...well things have changed and due to the trrible road conditions here in tucson az, i have decided that im going to prerun my truck. this is what i have so far and a laundry list of parts that will either be made or purchased...heres where we stand atm...

before

IMG_8579.jpg

after

0419120609.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ha, that looks like its on bags, and at full lift, all the time...

should meet somewhere in the middle... :)

or put different tires on it. something with more sidewall. Will help considerable with the pot holes. hell, i dont even fell em in my 720 and im running 31x10.5x15's...

Also if your torsion bars are maxed out, might actually make your ride harsher...

but, i do understand the need for a better ride. you should see the roads here in WA... i dont know how ppl drive cars. I saw a pot hole the other day, behind my bank, that could swallow a prius whole!!

yeah i have tires and wheels to swap out not an issue its just getting the lift outta the front. idk how im gonna do it, i mean i could make custom control arms but idk how to get lift out of them, and with just shocks in the front and no struts im at a loss as to how im gonna do it right. anytips?

ball joint spacers. They go on top of the upper ball joint, and raise the upper control arm. good for about an 1" or more depending on your application. I am putting 1.5" on my truck, but i am 4x4 and limited by axle shaft angles. you could do that for a cheap and effective lift up front, and then do spring over in the back.

the ball joint spacer is the same as a lift upper control arm. puts less wear an tear on ball joints and control arms. also keeps you off the bump stop. so you get some of the ride quality back.

just put your leaf pack on top of your rear axle, good for 2'' back there, and run some ball joint spacers for the front.

ball joint spacers. They go on top of the upper ball joint, and raise the upper control arm. good for about an 1" or more depending on your application. I am putting 1.5" on my truck, but i am 4x4 and limited by axle shaft angles. you could do that for a cheap and effective lift up front, and then do spring over in the back.

the ball joint spacer is the same as a lift upper control arm. puts less wear an tear on ball joints and control arms. also keeps you off the bump stop. so you get some of the ride quality back.

just put your leaf pack on top of your rear axle, good for 2'' back there, and run some ball joint spacers for the front.

i gotta get new leaf packs, mine are about dearced. and i want the front to have some awesome travel, i already baught the 2" kit for the back w/o shocks. how much are the ball joint spacers gonna run me? and i read somewhere that you gotta reindex your torsion bars?

whew... okay, I thought your leafs were on top your axle. had me confused. Swap your leafs over to the top your axle. easy 2''s back there. then spacers up front.... prerunner look, score.

damn, wish i could find a 4x4 up here in a jy... lol... no luke in the 6 months i have been bouncing between my three

looking great though!!!

it already is buddy haha. im keepin it the brownish yellow colour, im gonna get the front fenders flared out and the back fenders flared out too. the fronts are gonna be flared out huge lol, like a desert racer, i cannot find any glass fenders for it anywhere. but yeah i may have to paint them black or i might try to colour match it in a rattle can...if not ill paint it all desert camo tan :)

i went out on a trail today befor takin my girlfriend to work and got stuck...cant wait to get my all terrain tires. then i wont get stuck on a little river rock...the size of a large frying pan lol.

speaking of tires...can every one list what tires yall are runnin and roughly how much you got em for?

whew... okay, I thought your leafs were on top your axle. had me confused. Swap your leafs over to the top your axle. easy 2''s back there. then spacers up front.... prerunner look, score.

damn, wish i could find a 4x4 up here in a jy... lol... no luke in the 6 months i have been bouncing between my three

looking great though!!!

if you need anything you cant find lmk theres a jy here with like 3 or 4 ill find em and ship em to ya :)

Im running BFG AT's Baja edition... 32x11.5x15.

They are a lil older tires but still have tons of tread to them considering the truck has been doing more sitting then driving since 2004... I dont even think they make that exact tire anymore, too bad too, the tread pattern is nice and the side wall appearance is attractive. Dunno how much they cost cause they came on my truck (along with 4Runner wheels, LOL) but I know good meats arent cheap... gonna set you back over a grand for a full set.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/hanvm1.ang.jpg im lookin at these, 31x10.5x15 on the wheels below

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayPopup?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&productId=1572411&langId=-1&showValue=3

im thinkin rock the tires i have now and grab the tires in 2 separate purchases, as far as the wheels i can get em 209.xx shipped roughly (friend gets sick discounts on jegs and hes got a few things hes ordering so hes just rough guessin the actual price for my wheels with shipping) but i figure the tires i have now will last me a good month n a half which is plenty of time for me to get the tires, i also have a z car im building so i gotta put money away for that too. shes been sitting for over a year and the gf is missing goin out in that car lol (i am too, i love that car) so basically im gonna get the lift and tires/wheels on this truck done in a mater of months (each paycheck throw a little at it and the rest towards living expenses and the z car) and once i have the car done this truck will be full prerunner status...right now its my daily driver and i cant do too much to it just yet, still need my parts chaser ya know? haha

good news is...this weekend im getting a new transmission and the thicker leaf pack as well as some new shocks possibly and a roll bar! oh yeah and poor-mans ball joint spacers hahaha B)

also got the lift done in the back, just a 1" to level everything out for now, once i get the spacers ill do more (have another 2" in the back i can go) also thinkin...depending on how i reindex my torsion bars, i can get an extra .5-1" lift out of the front? is that possible? then re-reindex? our would i have way too much positive camber? i could also get the wheel adapters...ive run them on a drift car before so i know they can take a beating...but idk i guess just trial and error right?

ill have pics when the sun comes up here of the new leveled out look

• 1 month later...

speaking of tires...can every one list what tires yall are runnin and roughly how much you got em for?

i've run bfg a/t and bfg a/t ko and i will never look back. i love them. never been stuck, tread cleans really easy, they run GREAT at 10-15psi offroad.

so far i have gotten the set of 31x10.5 that i used to run for free, and i also got the 33x10.5 i currently run, for free. if you go above a 31" tire, i would recommend you go bigger than a 15" rim, less rubber to turn, which in turn helps your fuel and power economy.

one tire i STRONGLY recommend NOONE EVER use, Yokohama Geolander AT/S. i had them before my bfgs, spent 900 on the set new, and they only lasted a year! they had NO grip in snow or ice, forget about touching mud, and they have a fairly THIN sidewall. all of this is coming from experience. i would use them as my highway tire to get to the offroad meets, then put my bfg's on when i got there. they are only good for dry to moderately rainy pavement. and barely at that.