Saying Hello

tccanoe

I'm new to this forum but not to Datsuns. I've owned 3.5 in the past (my buddy and I split a $50 beater when I was stationed in Hawaii). I drove a 521 for seven or eight years. The best vehical I've ever owned in my life. But now at age 57 and at 6'4" and 275, I just can't see myself back in one. Last week, I pulled the trigger on a '79 620 extended cab with a blown piston. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. It's stirght unmolested with one small rust through spot on the bed. Three speed automatic (did Datsun make an overdrive 4 speed auto?). Well motor overhaul first and Hello to you'all.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone did put a 4 spd auto in a 620. I put a 4 spd auto in a 280zxT. The 4 spd auto can be found in '82-84 maximas. Some fabrication will be required, trans crossmember mod and shorten driveshaft. 4n71b. There are posts in the forum with pics.

If you are serious about the 4 spd auto, get everything from the flexplate back and to make it a bit easier the hard lines for the tranny. You will need the flexplate, TC, tranny and lines.

While reading the 4n71b thread in the drivetrain forum, it reminded me of the shifter linkage and pointed out another concern.

Take the linkage from the maxima.

The driveshaft, must be covered in that thread. I have yet to finish the thread.

I used a gear shift handle from an '88 maxima(I am sure most any will work.) The squareness of the stalk of the handle is only to hide the wires for the OD button and will fit over the stalk of the truck shift lever. Shortening of the maxima handle may not be required for the truck, but drilling and tapping new holes for the mounting screws probably will be.