Need advice on Oil Pan paint

What to paint my oil pan with?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How would you paint your custom oil pan?

• High-temp Paint or POR-15 outside, leave inside bare
    • High-temp Paint or POR-15 outside. Special paint like glyptol on inside
    • Patina the outside
    • Other

So I finally got my hack job of an oilpan done using pieces from a Z22 rear-sump and a Z20e front-sump. I just sand-blasted it to clean it up, and now I have to paint it.

I did a bunch of google searching on painting oilpans, and it seems there is a lack of consensus on how to paint them--especially the inside. Many people say to leave the inside bare because there is oil in there anyways. Plus the risk of paint chipping off and clogging the oil passages is risky. Makes sense. However others have claimed that IF ANY water gets in the oil system, it can be highly corrosive at certain temperatures.

I guess this is just a big risk assessment. Perhaps the risk of rusting out the inside of an oilpan is low and doesn't justify painting it.

What would you guys with experience in engine rebuilding recommend?

Thanks

oilpan-1.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a product called Gyptol ( i think that's how you spell it) that is used to paint the inside of blocks to promote heat transfer and speeding up the oils trip back to the pan. I don't know if it is good to use in oil pans too but it might be worth looking into. if it wont flake off of the block why would it flake off the inside of the pan? Otherwise I would leave it bare. EDIT OOps! I just saw that you already mentioned Gyptol. duh! By the way that pan looks good!

i say leave the inside bare,

fact is if your worried about water corrosion in your oil pan i would think there are far bigger issues to deal with such as how water is getting in there, or why.

the only way water (dangerous amount) should be able to get in there is a blown motor, yes there are very tiny and i mean tiny amounts that get in there past the pistons from the atmosphere through your intake but 99.9% is pushed right out the exaust thus you have a dew drip in the morning

super heated than super cooled kinda like a whiskey still

dont worry about the inside brother :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

do not paint the inside...engine doesn't play nice with paint. There should not be major condensation or water in the oil pan, if there is, more than paint is required. The paint might last a while...but eventually it will flake off and clog up the pickup tube and oil passages.

Paint the outside with a tough engine paint, or as someone else suggested, if you ride low or want a permanent non chip paint, bed liner that sucker.