Driveshaft yoke sizes

EricJB

So the Drag 521 decided to shatter two U joints, and destroy the front yoke on Saturday. I went through all my stuff and have nothing to piece together.

So before I head to Pick and Pull, I need to know, what has the same size trans output shaft as the 200sx dogleg, and has the biggest u joint yoke?

The rear flange doesn't matter because I will just make an adapter for that.

The plan is to grab whatever driveshaft has the biggest yoke and have it rebuilt/ lengthened to a 1 piece unit. Any thoughts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the 510/610/710/ S10, S110 and 4 cylinder S12 (200sx)/A10-(HL510) 521/620/720, 240/260/280z/zx non turbo, 810 Maxima used the same spline into the transmission.

Look for 720 4X4s from '83 up as some when in Oct '83 the driveshaft yokes and diff flanges were enlarged for the larger Z24 motor and use with the C-200 diff. The rear d/s is shorter and with a slip joint to a bolt on yoke on the transfer case. The primary d/s is 12" or 18" depending on the 71B tranny length and also has the larger U joints, I believe, and the spline into the transmission is the same as the dogleg.

The D-21 Hardbody may have larger U joints but only try the 4 cylinder trucks as the 71C tranny spline should match the dogleg. The VG30 trannys may have a larger spline count like the 300zx.

Take the spline with you.... if it fits the D21 tranny it should work.

From what Ive found, the D21 uses 1310 u joints. You can get some pretty badass solid body, forged joints for about $35 each. I think I will go buy a cheap 1310, and take it, and the mangled yoke with me.

Yeah I heard that too and there was a picture to back it up... but we don't run 1,800 hp through ours either. I would rather pump grease in and flush out the crap that gets in. Not only that but you can use your favorite brand of grease not some shit from Taiwan they got from China.

• 1 month later...

Any flange off a 521/620 up to Sept. '73 is the same part. Oct. '73 and up all have a different part number. I don't know what the difference is.... but they may still fit and work. I checked the pinion gear that they bolt to and they are all the same so it will still fit the spline and the nut will fit. The only other difference would be how the driveshaft bolts to it???

Ah and now I see that you really meant the drive shaft yoke. This is the trouble with having THREE posts about the same thing...

7274837766_53d91f77db_z.jpg

Any 521/620 720 2wd driveshaft yoke should fit. Go to a wrecking yard and hammer one out.

We are talking about Yoke sizes, the 521 and KA should use the same size yoke.

With KA swaps, most guys use the KA driveshaft, and have it shortened.

well thats why I poseted here. I have a dogleg tranny but the 521 yolk does not fit the KA 5speel. it seems like the insert is too small to go into the tranny.

I want to use the 240sx one but not sure if the rear will bolt up to the diff flange.

I'm in Canada I'm in Vancouver. If your arms good throw it across the Straight.

Send me a p/m and we'll see.

well thats why I poseted here. I have a dogleg tranny but the 521 yolk does not fit the KA 5speel. it seems like the insert is too small to go into the tranny.

The 521 spline should fit the KA transmission. Only thing I can see is that you have a VG30 5 speed by mistake. Can you post pictures of it?

Try removing the 240sx front spline at the U joint and putting it on the 521 driveshaft.

The 240sx 5 speed is way way longer than the 521 4 speed or a dogleg so it will need major shortening anyway.