New To Ratsun But Have No Datsun

I've been lurking for a little while and I like the style around here so I figure it's time to join the discussion, I'm Alex. I don't actually have a Datsun but a 1978 Chevrolet Luv I scored a great deal on a year ago. It's a nice specimen with only 48,000 miles on it, everything works (including the factory a/c) and it has almost zero rust. I wasn't looking for a classic at the time but you don't just pass on an opportunity like this.

A couple of pictures taken a few weeks after I bought her:

DV2xC.jpg

LcgYx.jpg

A few months after I purchased it the 33 year old fuel system started giving me trouble, keep in mind this truck is probably 95% original. While I was in there I figured it was time for an Offenhausr intake manifold, pacesetter header, Weber 32/36, new exhaust, and a Pertronix Ignitor with 40,000v coil. It pepped the little 1.9l up quite a bit and made a fun to drive truck even better.

Engine bay shortly after installing the new manifolds and carb...and removing the smog junk:

TZk6o.jpg

The interior was wonderful when I bought it, one of the things about the truck that convinced me to buy. Even though the stock upholstery was perfect the dash was cracked, some of the plastic had faded, and the silver trim had rubbed off in a lot of places. So, I touched everything up, installed a tach and a couple of other useful gauges, and covered the old worn dash with a plastic dash cap. The factory rubber floor mats were replaced with some coco mats:

Before:

cYQ0X.jpg

After:

QZ6zw.jpg

PFdwH.jpg

And just today I installed a set of switch panels out of a '72 Luv. They don't have words labeling the switches and they have illuminated rings around the switches and ignition:

VHt10.jpg?1

The switch on the right is going to control a (yet to be installed) set of foglights:

B9094.jpg

I have also acquired a complete set of NOS dogdish hubcaps for a killer deal on ebay that I prefer to the chrome caps mine came with:

mFJKq.jpg

TzzvE.jpg

vyS2p.jpg

So that's one year into my project. I have a front airdam and cab visor that I'll be painting and installing in the coming months. I'm probably going to lower it a bit and eventually swap the front torsion bars out for coilovers when time and money allow.

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site. High marks for booku oics in your first post. The only thing you need to do now is.....go get a Datsun :thumbup:

• Like 1