OH JESUS....HELP 1973 Lil Hustler 620

hey folks

i posted a while back for a tranny for dottie, my lil hustler. well while getting my shit together to go pick up the one i was offered in san bernardino (thank you! i still might need it) the bolts fell off while i was driving and the tranny slipped and, well the engine is now toast. looks like a bent piston. the engine was due for a rebuild anyway.

what do you guys suggest? i finally have cash. what should i do? i am not scrapping her.

anything you got, tell me.

(323) 823-9648 (text)

kikioreekee@gmail.com (email)

i am in los angeles. thanks guys!

vanessa

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the clutch slipped...... transmissions can't slip.

Well, I can interperate that two different ways. 1. The bolts holding the tranny to the car fell out and the tranny fell off the bottom of the car... wrecking the engine. 2. The bolts holding the flywheel/clutch/internals together came loose while driving demolishing the internals... wrecking the engine.

I dont know if shes using the term slip as in "clutch slip" or as in it slipped off the bottom of the car. Either way, sorry to hear of your troubles. I would look aound the engine section of this forum and look at some of the builds in there to get a good idea of what can be done.

heehee yes im a girl, duh haha.

ok, so we are clear about how wrecked she is?

so...what to do? try and rebuild the engine again? and put in a new trans and clutch?

or replace the engine? if i wanted to put a chevy engine in (due to lack of datsun availability) is that doable? then i have to

replace tranny/clutch that will work with, correct?

help me. im retarded.

You really don't wanna do a chevy swap, you'd lose interest and end up selling the truck on here. Best bet would be to find someone on here in the area to help with either a KA swap or to help with putting a new stock motor in. Oh and don't post too much info on here. You're like a unicorn too us. A GIRL THAT LIKES DATSUNS!!!! Are you single? Had to ask.

• Like 1

not getting down on you because your a gurl. That didn't sound right, did it. :blush: :lol: just wanted peeps would know ur a gurl,

I see trist change it, LOLZ

since your in Los Angels you should see if you can locate a L series motor at the pull and save. If not, then maybe a member has one for sale or check out the for sale threads.

GL

Depending on your level of skill, a straight swap might be easier. A rebuild would give you a fresh motor though, but machine work can get expensive.

Sorry Vanessa did not read the name. Something is probably wrong but what? A lot of unknowns here.... L motors can take a lot of abuse but usually it's lack of coolant or lack of oil that does them in.

Is the motor apart? How do you know it's a bad piston? If this is just someone else's opinion it could be wrong.

Am I the only one having trouble believing this? I'd like to, but...

It's pretty dang hard to have the transmission FALL OUT. I mean, there's a freaking steel crossmember under there. Yeah, that can come loose too, but at this point I'd wonder who decided to unbolt everything.

All that USUALLY happens is the engine/trans separate, breaking off the input shaft to the transmission, forcing the fan into the radiator (due to the engine tipping), and making a whole hell of a mess.

None of this results in a "Bent Piston". While not impossible, it's highly improbable to bend a piston. They just break. Bend a rod, yes.

Now what could be more likely is the transmission "slipped out of gear", and with the driver's foot on the floor, overreved the engine and threw/bent a rod. That may mangle a piston, but there's a lot more damage than that. But that doesn't explain the "bolts falling out" bit.

I dunno. Call me a skeptic. I've had parts come loose before and they usually make a hell of a racket before they fall off. A transmission would sound like the end of the world. I've heard of them falling out of 510s and such, but they don't take the engine with 'em.

Sorry Vanessa did not read the name. Something is probably wrong but what? A lot of unknowns here.... L motors can take a lot of abuse but usually it's lack of coolant or lack of oil that does them in.

Is the motor apart? How do you know it's a bad piston? If this is just someone else's opinion it could be wrong.

Yeah Doug this sounds like second hand info that being passed along.

Hyper eutectic pistons have so much silicon in them they are mostly glass with some aluminum to hold them together. They are brittle as glass too.

This is what happened!

"Now what could be more likely is the transmission "slipped out of gear", and with the driver's foot on the floor, overreved the engine and threw/bent a rod. That may mangle a piston, but there's a lot more damage than that. But that doesn't explain the "bolts falling out" bit."

but shes going to the mechanic monday, so we will see what happens. i hope we can rebuild. i also need a hood (mine flew over the roof in a windstorm and creased), door panels and a windshield.

i am in los angeles and can come get whatever anyone may have. thanks

323 823 9648 (text)

kikioreekee@gmail.com

thanks for being so nice. i miss my truck so much!

hey folks

i posted a while back for a tranny for dottie, my lil hustler. well while getting my shit together to go pick up the one i was offered in san bernardino (thank you! i still might need it) the bolts fell off while i was driving and the tranny slipped and, well the engine is now toast. looks like a bent piston. the engine was due for a rebuild anyway.

what do you guys suggest? i finally have cash. what should i do? i am not scrapping her.

anything you got, tell me.

(323) 823-9648 (text)

kikioreekee@gmail.com (email)

i am in los angeles. thanks guys!

vanessa

I suggest that if this is the same mechanic that tightened the bolts that fell out that you take it somewhere else. Get a second opinion as I can't see how this happened. L motors are really hard to 'blow up'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.