Need rearend info about 620s

sr20ve620

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could put the axle from a frieghtliner in if you have the right skill set.

You need to be more specific. What are you looking to accomplish? The stock rear end is probably fine, but if you want stronger it'll take some fabrication- generally anything stronger is also going to be wider, so you'd need to get the axles and tubes narrowed. If you want a different gear ratio in the stock housing then I suggest searching, as the info has been covered here many many times.

Just go get a chevy diff and put it in. 6 lug, and disk/drum option at your choosing.

Even with a fwd offset wheel the entire thing would be sticking out past the bed. An '84 or 85 Toyota rear would be a nice choice. The width is correct, disc brake conversions with parking brakes are available from Sky Manufacturing and the shafts make the Datsun ones look like toothpicks. You can get any gear ratio you can think of and a plethora of lockers to choose from. I've seen guys running 38" super swampers and small block Chevy motors pound on these axles for years and never break anything. You could upgrade to a cryogenically frozen shaft, but unless you're putting out 1,000 hp I think the stock toyota shaft is good enough. If you can find one from a V6 truck it's supposed to have a stronger center section but I think the years a V6 was offered are a tad wider? I've read that they are as strong as a Dana 60.

The 'early to mid '80 axles are about an inch wider on each side. I have a 'Yoda SAS on my 620 and I measured them. For an inch... no one will notice, specially on the back with big tires.

Wow, that much wider? Would it still be possible to tuck Titan wheels running one of these axles then? I have one in my shed and was thinking about swapping.

ok, lets get something straight, I HAVE A REDTOP S13 in my 620, I am running 12lbs of boost, a chipped ecu, and im laying down around 245 hp to the wheels. I have a FACTORY 4.375 h190 open differential that came stock in my truck. I have put several thousand miles on it so far with many acceleration runs to well over 100mph. My rear end has help up just fine Im not easy on it by any means, although it is not my goal to destroy it. The tires spin greatly in 1st gear and spins great in 2nd, 3rd through 5th hooks up great. I am running 235 40 18's. I shortened my own driveshaft which has also held up fine. These rear ends will hold up just fine as long as you dont abude it. I will say one thing about having an open diff in a truck this light and this much power. If you dump the clutch and lay it down it is very possible (happened to me twice) that one side will grab traction and sling you, the other side will grab and sling you the opposite direction, it will be a viscious cycle untill you let up on it and its very hard to control if you dont know what you are doing.

Wow, that much wider? Would it still be possible to tuck Titan wheels running one of these axles then?

No not without flares or narrowing the axle...

What are my options for a rearend?

What is your goal here? You can make any axle work in the back with the right amount of money and/or skill and/or tools.

Im narrowing up yota axles for datsun use got a jig and everthing toyota is definetley the way to go. H190 diffs are ok but toyota even better with lsd units avaliable all day! And 80% of them are factory 410 ratio with the same bolt pattern. I.ll be finished with the first 521 width one next weekend.