85 720 tranny

chester

So I just bought this and was wanting to make sure it will work for my ka swap that I am trying to do in my 77 620. As the title says it's from a 85 720 2wd, and is the same length as the tranny I have now. Also any and all info about what the gearing could be would be nice. Thanks Dan 031612194029.jpg031612194042.jpg031612194021.jpg031612194005.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it will fit the Z and the KA series engines.

Yes it will fit and work in your '77 (even the speedometer cable will work.)

You need to remove your '77 speedo cog and instal in the 720 case to keep your speedo accurate because the 720s used different differential gear ratios. BUT..... You will have to make a simple modification to the speedo pinion before you do. Get a small angle grinder and a $4 metal cutting blade. On the side of the pinion just below the threads is a small slot that the keeper fits into and the 10mm bolt holds in place.

transcogs.jpg

Long story short... the 620cog has the slot 180 degrees around on the wrong side for it to work in the 720 case. Not the end of the world, you'll just nick a new slot on the 620 pinion and it will fit just fine. I did this with muy 5 speed instal into my 710. Been to Canby and back with the 'upside down cog' no problem.

So just use the angle grinder to make a new notch 180 degrees around on the opposite side so the key will fit and push in place and bolt down.

Should look similar to this one... Don't over think it, this isn't rocket science. :lol:

pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg

This will keep the 620 cog and 620 differential relationship and the speedometer will stay accurate.

thanks Mike. I thought it would work but wasnt 100% sure. As of now my speedo is off. I have a 4.37 speedo gear drive but have 4.11 rear end. Now I should have a correct speedo when I get it in. Mike you wouldnt happen to know what the gearing could be, or the best way to check myself?