L20 Valves setting

kdatsun610p

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion setting them so tight they don`t make any noise at all is to tight...tends to burn the valves if ran real hard .and always do them with engine hot..

But everybody has a different opinion..

So how warm should the engine be like average temp.? And what size feeler gauge should I use when hot?

Have tools ready, take car out for 15 min drive and you are ready.

Set motor to TDC #1 compression and set the following valves: I =intake, E = exhaust

E on # 1

I on # 1

I on # 2

E on # 3

Turn motor exactly one revolution and bring to TDC mark.

E on # 2

I on # 3

I on # 4

E on # 4.... done. You should be able to do this befoe the motor cools significantly.

The valves on a L engine will make a little noise. If they are not making some noise, they are too tight, possibly holding a valve open slightly, and that will lead to burned valves, and the need to remove the head, and do a valve job.

I have found that if you set them at .008 intake, and .010 exhaust COLD, they will be around .010 intake, and .012 exhaust hot.

A compression test on an engine can vary a lot depending on the a lot of other factors, besides the condition of the rings and valves. It should be done when the engine is at normal operating temperature, throttle wide open, without spark plugs in any cylinders, with a fully charged battery, and a good starter.

My service manual says compression should be between 159 and 171 PSI, at a cranking RPM of 350. this is for a L-16. L-20-B engines may be different.

If after doing a compression test, you put about a teaspoon of engine oil in each cylinder, and do a compression test again, and the numbers go up a significant amount, it is an indication of piston ring wear.

A compression test on an engine can vary a lot depending on the a lot of other factors, besides the condition of the rings and valves. It should be done when the engine is at normal operating temperature, throttle wide open, without spark plugs in any cylinders, with a fully charged battery, and a good starter.

My service manual says compression should be between 159 and 171 PSI, at a cranking RPM of 350. this is for a L-16. L-20-B engines may be different.

If after doing a compression test, you put about a teaspoon of engine oil in each cylinder, and do a compression test again, and the numbers go up a significant amount, it is an indication of piston ring wear.

Thanks il try it out