carbon fiber fenders

dimedude

There was a guy some time back (think 5-7 years or so) that had a set of CF fenders made up for his dime. They weren't bubble flares, and they weren't BRE flares. They were just little mini flares that almost looked just like a stock fender, only the fender was slightly wider and the lip was a smidge higher. Looked great. At one point, I tried to contact the guy but never heard anything back from him.

While I'm not a big fan of fender flares, I know somebody would want them for their various reasons; fitting wider wheels, extremely lowered cars, etc. But if somebody made a set of bolt-on fender flares that actually fit a 510 (not like the Z-car flares that don't *quite* fit), I'd probably be up for a set of those, but I would be a horrible person indeed to cut up a perfectly good original fender. Couldn't bring myself to do that.

But I'm sure the market would be pretty good on bolt-on flares that didn't look horribad. Perhaps you could bring up that idea to this new CF person of whom you've yet to name? At that point it would no longer be a competition between vendors.

I have seen FutoFab's products up close, and I can say that the quality is absolutely superb. And you get what you pay for.

Could you get some in-person pictures of this guy's parts? Such as the back side, the lip molding, mounting areas etc. As previously stated, a CF wagon hatch would be awesome and I know I've had plenty of people ask me if I've ever seen or heard of one. And honestly, I haven't. But it would have to be tits-on perfect like the original or very few people would fork out the dough for one. And like Hainz said, make sure the things attach the way a factory one does, and uses the stock hinges and such. Hood pins IMHO are just fugly, so if I ever bought a hood it would have to utilize the stock latch as well. If I had a wagon, obviously it would have to use the stock bits there as well.

PS - I think a wagon hatch in CF would be awesome. It would be an easy way to shed some weight in a goon, as those things aren't exactly light with stock glass and what not. I have two of them sitting here for a rainy day when I decide to bite the bullet and buy myself a wagon.

I think having good information out there for everybody is a good thing, not a bad thing. And people making parts for 510 is all-good, no matter which way you look at it. Competition is healthy and it actually promotes all involved parties, so I don't see why anybody would bring in the pish-posh. There's FutoFab, the eBay seller, and I'm sure a few more out there making CF tidbits.

But like everybody else said, I think some well-documented pictures would be great on this guy's products. From 8' away in those pictures, they look good. But so do eBay CF Honduh hoods. And we know how great those are - they make a real good grass-sled at Canby behind a Datsun pickup. (Could have just been that it was a Honduh part, who knows?)

More pics. More details. Price & availability, turn around time, shipping fees, and warranty. Get those details for people.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got in contact with this company through eBay(where he was selling a set of his flared fenders ) I have been emailing him for about a week it takes some time for him to respond, the last email I sent I asked these important questions and hopefully will have some answers in a day or two

1. Can you give me a price list for your parts

2. How should people interested get in contact with you or the company

3. Can I get some more detailed pictures

I'm not trying to with hold information from anybody I just don't have answers for most of your questions at this time because I'm not making or selling these parts nor do I work for the company . Also this thread was started because I wanted a cheaper price non flared carbon fiber fender and needed 9 more people to be interested before they would start production on them. I don't have a problem getting prices for other parts but that was not my intentions for starting this thread

dimedude (and others),

I apologize for seemingly posting in "bad taste" by offering information about our CF stock fenders.

The post starting this thread wasn't to create a group buy or in a classified section, had it been, I would have never posted what I did.

I thought the post was looking to gather information/interest to convince a vendor to make a new product. Given that, I felt my post contained infomation that would be of value.

I gave details about availability, construction, pricing and included a photo in my post because this is information that should be presented to properly discuss a product. I was brief in my post to focus and highlight that information.

My intent was to help, if my brevity came across as "in your face" gorilla marketing, I sincerely apologize to all.

• Like 1

Dave, your post was not an instrusion to this thread, you've always been a pro. Like you said, comparison info is always appreciated and this isn't a private 'buy thread'. Some people just get their panties in a bind a little too quickly these days. Geez, this is a public forum anyways...

• Like 1

I remember seeing this guy on ebay as well. Did he ever end up making interior panels for the 4 door 510s? As much as I'd like cf body panels I can't justify the purchase. But damn I do like me some cf fenders.

Okay I have got some more info not all of the info that I asked for but some. The carbon fiber parts can be made 2 different ways one way is using 100% carbon fiber the other way has carbon fiber but is backed with fiber glass there is a price difference between the 2 the 100% carbon fiber stuff costs more, so it is up to the buyer on how they want it made , also the company is called areo composites and the man i have been talking to said he is taking more pictures and he should be sending them to me some time next week along with a price list and contact info sorry this is taking so long but iv been emailing him and it takes some time for him to respond

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago i bought wiper cover.it want fit for sh....Still sits in my garage in box.Wasted $125.Oh, and that is not carbon fiber.It is fiberglass with CF top layer.Beware!

As far as I know Dave's panels has best fitment possible.Just my opinion...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...