Hardbody vs 240 KA differences

Toyo Tech

I picked up a complete KA24de/5sp today from a 96 240. I have printed out a great article about the KA swap, but when it talks about motor mounts, it references the TRUCK KA mounts. Are these any different that the mounts used in the 240? the seller threw in a complete uncut wiring harness, chassis pin out schematics, and the motor brackets.....

Also are there any other differences I should know about?

Is there a certain color I should paint the valve cover before install, or is it just personal preference?

Thanks,

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1331520153[/url]' post='652355']

Car intake

P.jpg

The shinny manifold is actually from a SOHC motor not the DOHC. The DOHC manifold has a different routing position of the runners and TB. just an FYI. I don't know what engine mounts are in mine but I was assuming they were 240 ones. I have a SOHC engine in mine.

Anyone have pics of the modified crossmember? I am using this article http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/installing-a-ka24-into-a-510.html but I can't get the pics to load... I have a feeling it'll be pretty obvious once I get to that point, but I like to have as much of an idea BEFORE as I can... Never hurts to be over prepared..

There was also a write up on using a 4relay Tyco unit to tie in the ECU to the 510...anyone have that handy...I have read it once, and now can't seem to locate it again...it is Monday, after timechange weekend..

It took me 3 min to search function on The 510 Realm to find this... http://www.the510rea...swap+into+a+510

Type in 'KA swap into 510' or 'KA24DE swap into 510' or some other derivative. There is almost unlimited info on this swap into a 510 on a forum dedicated to the 510 only. They know their shit, you just have to wade through some of it. I don't know Nico but it's not about 510s is it?I only found two 510 engine swaps a KA and a VG

Ah....I almost completely swore off the realm.... Banzai...I know where you are going with this. First off, this project is being mostly done by my father in law, who has swapped more motors than years I've been alive. In the 10 years his daughter and I have been married, I've seen him rebuild and install motors in everything from his 54 Ford Customline, 65 Mustang, a rotary in an MGB, the 360 in my F100, and 2 VW Bugs.. What I am trying to do is help him with MY install, and not look like a complete dweeb... Believe me, I would not be attempting this on my own, because as you figured...I don't have the knowledge/resources.

BUT, I'm not going to sit back and just watch him work, I want to learn, and have an understanding of what's going on, so next time I can do it myself. Which is why I came here to ask....and also why I don't check out therealm that often. That place is not for beginners..

If I don't know....I will always ask, even if it sounds stupid.

Jeff Hino makes the boxes buy one.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/

print all the paper work wire drawings.

I see your dad did alot of swaps but those are all old carbed cars. BUT its alot different than a OBD2 system.Is 96 OBD1 or is it 2?

Even if you get the motor free its going to still be $2500 all said and done for all the correct parts and clutch radiator,high volume fuel pump ect.....

last guy I got his 510 runinng(L20) that said he wanted to do a KA swap. I asked him to ck the 12volts at the temp sender on my car when he needed a FREE temp housing and he didnt know how to use a Multimeter. (I wont help him again).

Chebtio510 on here had his friend do a swap and he cut the wire harness all up. Now car was for sale. Ran 40years before that w/o a proplem.

No need to CUT the wire harness. You just tap off of it to run the new harness with another fuse box. Old fuse box power the rest of the car like it should.

Jeff Hino makes the boxes buy one.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-ca-sr-and-vg-into-anything/

print all the paper work wire drawings.

I see your dad did alot of swaps but those are all old carbed cars. BUT its alot different than a OBD2 system.Is 96 OBD1 or is it 2?

Even if you get the motor free its going to still be $2500 all said and done for all the correct parts and clutch radiator,high volume fuel pump ect.....

last guy I got his 510 runinng(L20) that said he wanted to do a KA swap. I asked him to ck the 12volts at the temp sender on my car when he needed a FREE temp housing and he didnt know how to use a Multimeter. (I wont help him again).

Chebtio510 on here had his friend do a swap and he cut the wire harness all up. Now car was for sale. Ran 40years before that w/o a proplem.

No need to CUT the wire harness. You just tap off of it to run the new harness with another fuse box. Old fuse box power the rest of the car like it should.

Lol love how im a example in this.. lol

CAr is sold btw... Sticking to the 620