Stuck in 4th Gear???

So I am driving problem free down the interstate in my '71 521, get off at my exit, go to shift into 2nd and the truck is stuck in 4th gear!!! Without using extreme force, I have tried and tried to get it to come out with no luck. I got it over to a local transmission shop and without them even dropping the tranny to find the problem they are talking some big bucks. I am thinking it will either be a shift fork or synchro but I am kind of illiterate when it comes to transmissions but understand the basics of it. I am all for spending the money if it is necessary but I figured I would ask around to see if it is a common problem or if anyone has any advice that might keep me from spending an excessive amount of cash!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a 5-speed.

I don't know what the problem is, but now would be the perfect time to swap out the transmission. You'd probably spend about the same getting a 5-speed as you would fixing this one, so it might be something to consider. Other than that... I don't know. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

I would hope that the tranny shop could see if the slave cylinder isn't working right....hahaha......I would swap a 5 spd into it unless its your daily and you don't have another car to drive. Otherwise search for a 4 spd. They are dirt cheap and even free sometimes. I cant think of much that would be wrong with the tranny....check your fluid level, may have gone dry, but you probably would have heard a loud howling noise. Did it do anything funny when you last shifted it, like make a noise, shift hard, shift easy, clutch feel fine or was it different then normal. Were you pulling a hill, or flats, or down a hill? Does your clutch feel the same right now?? Check your fluid level on your clutch side. Try forcefully pull or push it out when not running, Try when at an idle, also try it bliping the throtle just a bit, and try it when reved up to like 2000 rpm or so. PLEASE do it safely though, have someone there to maybe help or watch the jack stands or something.

I totally understand how you feel' I too had a '71 521 and for no reason it wouldn't shift out of 4th gear. Drove it home, made for interesting take offs in 4th. Had to replace it.

LOL...it took some serious feathering of the clutch and throttle to get it to the house and then to the transmission shop where it is now! If I had to get it much further I would definitely be facing a clutch issue

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, happened to me too...just today actually! So I just found a 200sx 5spd for $125. I hope it is the one I need(?) I have been trying to find a transmission all day and looking all over the net to find exactly what I need to swap over. I have been wanting to do the 5spd.swap anyway...it just stinks when the truck is in the middle of an intersection with cars all backed up behind you, and you can smell the factory Nissan clutch burning as you try to get home. Best to you with yours.