Pistons for L20b

I am trying to gather up parts for building an L20b. I am wanting to up the compression a little. I want to run about 10.1 or MAYBE a little less. This motor will be for my daily driver. It will have a healthy sized cam also. I have been well informed that I should run L18 pistons in my L20b block. I think the L18 pistons will give me the compression that I want, but I CANNOT find those damn things! Theres a set on ebay right now, but I dont know if it includes rings, and they also arent oversized.

My question is, what are my other alternative to the L18 pistons? If there are any other alternatives.

Thanks guys

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z20E pistons will work but you will need the longer 6" rods to make them work. L20B rods are 145.9mm Z20E are 152.5mm making this a long rod L20B suitable for high revving. The Z20E is a flat top with small valve reliefs cut in the top. The compression would be 9.941wit them (or any flattop) and used with any L open chamber head.

• 2 weeks later...

Check summit racing for 86mm flat tops ($27ea + a ring set), and as mike said, you'll need 6" rods on ebay for 45ea?

Unless you can find a Z20E in a junkyard, then just switch your head & misc timing crap over if it don't need rebuilt?

Check out the jason gray thread before you spend any money.

L28 (81-83 280ZX) pistons come as flat tops. 86mm is standard bore (+.040" on an L20B) and the wrist pin size/height matches the L20B. If you have a big cam the pistons will need to be notched for the intake valves.

Bonus is a +.040" overbore L28 piston is 2mm over on an L20B.