struts and ride height question

Stupid_fast

Hello all, I have been collecting parts to change up my suspension setup. I have searched for some of this stuff but have not found the information I want.

Currently I have shortened 510 struts and brakes with MR-2 tokico illumina inserts, at the highest they will go my tires are just under the fenders with 195-55-15's. Its not too bad but heavy cornering causes the front tire to rub the fender even with lots of camber. For autocross and street driving I would like it about 1/2" higher than it is, but my shocks do not allow me to raise it anymore.

I have purchased stock 280zx struts and brakes, I am going to get them welded up for coilovers, but I'm having a hard time finding what shock option to go with.

MR-2's seem too low for my setup, I am looking for ideal handling with lowest stance.

I have coilover sleeves, 200lb springs, camber plates, TC rods, and RCA's that I can reuse on the new setup.

My question is, how low can you go with 280zx struts and inserts with coilovers? The lowest I want it is as high as it is now. I'm considering some BZ3038's, I'd like some insight and a second opinion.

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice all the rubber on the fender... with under 100 miles on the tires, I have since added more negative camber which I will dial back out once i have the zx struts(they pull the wheels in).

datsun5.jpg

marshall3.jpg

I'm going to be dropping the back about 1", and then raise the front by about 1/2"... then start tuning from there to get a handling balance.

Notice all the rubber on the fender... with under 100 miles on the tires, I have since added more negative camber which I will dial back out once i have the zx struts(they pull the wheels in).

datsun5.jpg

marshall3.jpg

In a way lowering does increase the negative camber but the zx struts do not have the same strut to spindle angle as the stock 510 struts. They will have even more positive camber to begin with. You will probably need camber plates to bring them in enough.

In a way lowering does increase the negative camber but the zx struts do not have the same strut to spindle angle as the stock 510 struts. They will have even more positive camber to begin with. You will probably need camber plates to bring them in enough.

Read my post again, I must have worded it badly.

I have T3 camber plates currently on the 510 strut setup, the camber is almost all the way negative to fit the 15x7 0's, the ZX struts should pull in track width about +15 because of the shorter hubs, then I'll be running a more reasonable camber.

I simply want to know what shock option would be best to go with for a more sensible range of ride height. Currently the coilovers will go up another 1", but the shocks wont let it.

Here is the best picture I can find of the current suspension setup, this is before I added troy's TC rods and RCA's. Coilovers at maximum height.

img20110528181811.jpg

I'm looking for adjustment.. I'm looking for an option that will get me up to 1" higher if I need it, or 1" lower if I feel like it!

I don't like either extreme, I just want something really tune-able that I can work with.

do you have front or rear mr2 shocks

if remember right the rears a re a 1inch longer if your only going as low as the pick you shound be alright with stock zx length

from the looks of it stock zx inserts should work fine

tokiko illuminas or tokiko blues both are very good illuminas are just adjustable

I think the 280zx struts will fix the rubbing problem even at a lower ride height. I measured when I swapped to zx struts and it pulled the wheels in 3/4"+. I run 14x7 0 offset with big tires and my struts are shortened for illumina rabbit inserts, and my setting is right about the middle of the collar threads. If you don't want to go way low stock length zx struts will probably work fine tho.