My new purchase

datsun 521 ute

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had all the repair sections I made welded in a couple weeks ago and now the ute has taken a back seat till I get the rest of the parts needed to finish off. I did pick up another 521 today for the rest of the parts needed but sadly it had also been hit in the front left corner and left door so the guard may be out but should be able to get the rest of the repair sections and parts needed along with some others coming. I did find this behind the back seat and I must say I did get a little excited when I opened it up to find it complete I think and in never used condition, other than the wheel brace. They all have the Nissan logo on them.

IMG_4211.jpg

So now it's back to work on the 320 to get her finished and to a new home.

This parts truck you just picked up, does it have the rear tub/box?

This guy is looking for a tub/box.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44961-520-raised-tub-problem/page__view__findpost__p__713877__hl__joel.graeme

As you can see, he has a 320 tub/box on his early datsun 520 pickup, and even though the 520/521 are differant in some ways, the basic tub is the same, the rest can be changed if desired.

IMG_0240.jpg

I realize that Australia is a big place, but maybe you two are close, he has been asking about import companys lately, but one has to find a decent one to import first.

I don't even know if you want to sell it either, if it has one, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Had all the repair sections I made welded in a couple weeks ago and now the ute has taken a back seat till I get the rest of the parts needed to finish off. I did pick up another 521 today for the rest of the parts needed but sadly it had also been hit in the front left corner and left door so the guard may be out but should be able to get the rest of the repair sections and parts needed along with some others coming. I did find this behind the back seat and I must say I did get a little excited when I opened it up to find it complete I think and in never used condition, other than the wheel brace. They all have the Nissan logo on them.

IMG_4211.jpg

So now it's back to work on the 320 to get her finished and to a new home.

This is a score, I don't think I have ever seen a tool kit like this before over here. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Wow can't believe how long it has been since last posting in this thread.

Since my last post I have added a new addition to our family.

This is Jude Gilbert he is now 4 months old.

IMG_2276_zps7ed1e520.jpg

Well there has been a revival on the 521 ute. Got it fixed up enough to have it pass its inspection so I can get it registered. Now that is done I have pulled it back off the road to finish the repairs properly.

A few recent pictures

IMG_06811_zpse210c695.jpg

IMG_06801_zps53d8c52f.jpg

Got an early 3 bar grille for it and have decided I am going to paint it black, the exact same paint scheme as my Fairlady with the silver BRE style stripes and DATSUN logo. This will be my first paint and panel attempt and have bought a new welder for the task. If you see anything I am doing wrong or know of an easier/better way of doing it feedback is appreciated.

• Like 1

Wow can't believe how long it has been since last posting in this thread.

Since my last post I have added a new addition to our family.

This is Jude Gilbert he is now 4 months old.

IMG_2276_zps7ed1e520.jpg

Well there has been a revival on the 521 ute. Got it fixed up enough to have it pass its inspection so I can get it registered. Now that is done I have pulled it back off the road to finish the repairs properly.

A few recent pictures

IMG_06811_zpse210c695.jpg

IMG_06801_zps53d8c52f.jpg

Got an early 3 bar grille for it and have decided I am going to paint it black, the exact same paint scheme as my Fairlady with the silver BRE style stripes and DATSUN logo. This will be my first paint and panel attempt and have bought a new welder for the task. If you see anything I am doing wrong or know of an easier/better way of doing it feedback is appreciated.

Congrats on the newest member of your family, and it's good you passed the inspection, so put it on the road, it just feels good when they move under there own power.  :lol:

Clive its good to have you back.Just so you know i sourced a balancer from Poland of all places,but it was through FJ20.com,and if it does not work then i will deal with Ross performance.

I thought you were going to put those wheels on back in the front of this thread.This truck is so clean and the rust what rust,this truck looks good.1 day i will have 1 like this,you wait and see.lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks guys. Again the ute has been on the back burner. Never got it registered after the inspection and before I knew it the 90 days I had to do it had lapsed. So apart she came to continue the resto. Finding more rust and repairs, I thought to be too much for me so I turned to my parts cars cabin. Stripped it of all its panels to find it was lamb dressed as mutton. Although it looked pretty old and rusted at a glance in it's entirety it was virtually rust free. Other than the left sill panel damage and a hole cut in the roof about the size of a 10c piece or a quarter and a few little dings everything else was actually quite minor.

A friend of mine has just recently opened his life dream, a restoration shop. So I have handed him the job of doing my ute to help him get started in his business. He is also going to paint the chassis, put a new gasket set through the motor and paint, make a conversion for the J15 so I can run an L series 5 speed behind it, a new exhaust to go with my new headers and paint it the same as my Fairlady. Hope to have it done by the end of October.

So i made a rotisserie for the other cabin and is now at his workshop and started.

image_zps7b640530.jpg

image_zps2b6c90c3.jpg

image_zpsf090d42f.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The wiper motor dont work. But he never said it did ,so i took a chance.

How did you test the motor?

You cannot just connect power, power only goes to one wire, the rest of the wires are a ground of sorts, I am not sure here, but the yellow wire might be power, black is ground, and the rest of the wires go to ground for testing wiper motor speeds.

• Like 1

You know what Wayno thanks. I took it to a starter repair guy and they said that all wires or if you touch any they would work.I don't know what is wrong with my motor it worked before.I took the housing off to powder coat but that was it. I don't get it.

So you have a working motor yet?