ka24de turbo ??

braveops

i have been thinking of adding a turbo to my ka when i put it in but what turbo manifold will work and where is best place to get one from?? i was thinking of making a log style but if i can find one that works i might just buy it. will all 240 manifolds work? thanx

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traditionally, stock factory pistons are the same hyper-eutectic ones used in the non turbo motors. I think the Ford 2.3 and the Chrysler 2.2 were this way. Boost was limited to 5 PSI or there about to keep them together. Of course for very brief spurts you could ping 9 or 10 PSI by defeating the waste gate but unless you had aftermarket timing and mixture control the motor won't run for long. The later motors of today (or the '90s?) may have better control, should have better control, than those dinosaurs.

10 PSI should add about 100 hp to a 160 hp motor.

Some Datsun cast pistons can take 10 psi boost. 10 psi is considered "mild" these days.

But the KA pistons probably can't.

According to the fantasy site "KA-T.org" you can build a KA truck motor that will put out 400 HP. But don't go there, instead ask the Ratsun budget-build guys.

Traditionally, stock factory pistons are the same hyper-eutectic ones used in the non turbo motors. I think the Ford 2.3 and the Chrysler 2.2 were this way. Boost was limited to 5 PSI or there about to keep them together. Of course for very brief spurts you could ping 9 or 10 PSI by defeating the waste gate but unless you had aftermarket timing and mixture control the motor won't run for long. The later motors of today (or the '90s?) may have better control, should have better control, than those dinosaurs.

10 PSI should add about 100 hp to a 160 hp motor.

The 2.2s came from the factory with 8-14psi of boost depending on the model, etc. Pistons were cast, but, held up very well. Theres guys pushing 30psi from Garret 60 trims on stock internals. Then again, those engines had a lot of r&d and were very advanced for their time.

But...you say 10psi of boost...it depends, you can run 10psi of boost on a tiny turbo and 10psi on a large turbo and there will be totally different results. You can probably run 10psi through a mitsu 12a and be fine. Won't be making gobs of power, but, it'd hold up. Now, 10psi through a GT40....

But...roughly, in the world of forced induction, if everything is properly sized and tuned for the engine...you should net 50% more power...so...at stock 160hp, you should get an additional 80hp or so...so, 240ish hp. Of course thats a rough estimate...but kinda the racers rule.