L18 tuning help (84 720)

kingpinnz

Hi guys

im new here. heres my little intro: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39983-noob-from-new-zealand-and-my-kingcab/

I have got the truck running but after about 3-10 minutes it spitts and farts and then dies. we atart her up again and take off for maybe 30 seconds and it will die again. we seem to be able to crawl along in 1st for quite a while and if we just sit there it will run sweet...we can rev it and its all good. after a few more minutes it gets harder and harder to start and then eventually you have to wait a minute or so between tries.

we have checked all the spark plugs and replaced 2 ht leads and played with the fuel mix and it is now running better initally but still does the same thing.

what im really after is a tuneup guide or something for the L18 motors or some knowledge you guys may have.

Its been ages since i jumped into a carbied, points type of motor so im abit rusty and dont wanna spend money replacing things in a witch hunt.

cheers

Brett

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

im new here. heres my little intro: http://community.rat...and-my-kingcab/

I have got the truck running but after about 3-10 minutes it spitts and farts and then dies. we atart her up again and take off for maybe 30 seconds and it will die again. we seem to be able to crawl along in 1st for quite a while and if we just sit there it will run sweet...we can rev it and its all good. after a few more minutes it gets harder and harder to start and then eventually you have to wait a minute or so between tries.

we have checked all the spark plugs and replaced 2 ht leads and played with the fuel mix and it is now running better initally but still does the same thing.

what im really after is a tuneup guide or something for the L18 motors or some knowledge you guys may have.

Its been ages since i jumped into a carbied, points type of motor so im abit rusty and dont wanna spend money replacing things in a witch hunt.

cheers

Brett

Check fuel filter

Sounds like the filter.

Drive it till it quits, which shouldn't be too hard, and as fast as you can shut off the motor and get into neutral. Then pull over safely. The trick is to get the motor stopped as fast as you can to preserve the carb exactly as it was when it quit.

Remove the air filter housing and look at the sight glass on the front of the carb. It could have a line or a dot that represents where the fuel level should be. I'm betting that it will be empty.

Causes:

Most likely is the fuel filter doing it's job. They are cheap and easily changed.

Could also be the float level set to too high and not opening the inlet needle and the motor uses gas faster than it can be replaced.

There is a brass screen right where the fuel enters the carb at the banjo fitting that could be dirty.

Sounds like the filter.

Drive it till it quits, which shouldn't be too hard, and as fast as you can shut off the motor and get into neutral. Then pull over safely. The trick is to get the motor stopped as fast as you can to preserve the carb exactly as it was when it quit.

Remove the air filter housing and look at the sight glass on the front of the carb. It could have a line or a dot that represents where the fuel level should be. I'm betting that it will be empty.

Causes:

Most likely is the fuel filter doing it's job. They are cheap and easily changed.

Could also be the float level set to too high and not opening the inlet needle and the motor uses gas faster than it can be replaced.

There is a brass screen right where the fuel enters the carb at the banjo fitting that could be dirty.

cool ill try that.

Since your in New Zealand di L18s come in 720s and still with points. Here in the states everything was EI and a Z series motor.

yeah your right on that one. i think u shoud update wikipedia! lol

I just found out that mine is an actuall new zealand new model as well. most of our japaneese stuff is second hand imported from japan. just makes it abit rareer and has abit more traceable history.