1981 720 5 spd tranny

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a 71B trans? In urgent need of 5-spd for 620, wondering if this will work.

Wont work on an L series motor.

It is a 71B transmission but to sit vertically it has to be bolted to a Z series motor. The L series is about 23 degrees tilt to the right compared to a Z series so this transmission would have to rotate 23 degrees right to bolt up. The shifter would be into the pass side seat (if you could get it through the hole in the floor) and the rear mount wouldn't work on such an angle.

Wont work on an L series motor.

It is a 71B transmission but to sit vertically it has to be bolted to a Z series motor. The L series is about 23 degrees tilt to the right compared to a Z series so this transmission would have to rotate 23 degrees right to bolt up. The shifter would be into the pass side seat (if you could get it through the hole in the floor) and the rear mount wouldn't work on such an angle.

Can't swap the bell from the busted L series trans onto this one?

Can't swap the bell from the busted L series trans onto this one?

Sorry I missed this.... erich is right an earlier L series front can be swapped onto it. You need a 12mm ratchet and a set of snap ring pliers. I've removed them in a wrecking yard in 10 min.

The '81 will have the wrong speedo pinion in it so your speedo will read faster than you are actually going. Your pinion will not work in it but it can be modified to make it work.

Hey crackerjack69, if the deal goes through, I'll be buying this 720 tranny from Brian for a KA24de I want to drop in my 620. My 620 currently has a good working 5 speed behind a L20b. I can sell you mine for the same price plus shipping. You won't have to go through the trouble of changing bell housings.

Hey crackerjack69, if the deal goes through, I'll be buying this 720 tranny from Brian for a KA24de I want to drop in my 620. My 620 currently has a good working 5 speed behind a L20b. I can sell you mine for the same price plus shipping. You won't have to go through the trouble of changing bell housings.

why don't you just have him ship you the bellhousing if your 5spd is good? Would be a lot cheaper, and accomplish the same goal... Anyways, I think "same price + shipping" may kill that deal, lol. If he would answer my PM's and let me come pick it up, I'd give you the Napz bell for your KA swap for free.... + shipping, lol.

What`s the overall length 27 or 31- ish ?

The short 26" 5 speeds showed up around '83 and were on the 720 trucks only. There were no short L series 5 speeds but... you could swap an L case onto a short one and convert it. All earlier 720, 620, 280z, 280zx, (non turbo) S110 (200sx) and S12 (200sx) used the long 31.5" 4 and 5 speeds.

Brian, PM sent.

Mike, could you point me towards a thread for the speedo gear mod?

To swap a pre '80 speedometer pinion into an '80 and up 'B' type 5 speed, a new slot for the hold down must be cut in it 180 degrees around on the opposite side. I did this with my 710 5 speed swap and it works.

This isn't mine but it shows you what to do. I just used an angle grinder and made a small nick that the holding clip will fit.

pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg

Starting in or around early '80 the tailshaft was modified and the pinion hold down clip was moved from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position. Pre '80s pinion slots are on top while '80s slots are on the bottom. If you have the slot on the top just cut one on the bottom.

My '79zx tail with hold down clip and bolt at 12 o'clock...

5speedfor710goon007Large.jpg

My '85 SD25 diesel tail with hold down clip and bolt at 6 o'clock.

5speedfor710goon011Large.jpg

I swapped the '85 tail onto the '79 zx transmission and used the '79 pinion by cutting a new slot for the clip.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. As always, a clear and illustrated explaination. Much appreciated.

So hey Germz, you buying this thing? Let me know if you are, cuz then I'll go get one from PicknPull during the 1/3 off sale (lasts till Friday) Otherwise, I'll go get it from homeboy and ship you the z bell for your swap :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.