1980 720 engine swap?

sackcheck

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the Z24 have an ECU, the 80 L20b does not, personally I would use the Z24 wiring harness complete also.

Are you close to me? I would buy the 80 wiring harness from you.

Unless the Z24 has a 'Cali' carb or TBI...no 'ECU'.

The L20B harness will work....depending on the extent of 'emissions' used on the Z24 of course

I was thinking about swapping my L20b out for a Z24 in my 1980 720 5 speed, Is there any problems I would run into or is it a pretty straight forward swap? Thanks!

You will need a Z24 transmission to go with the motor. It will also have to be the same 31.5" long as the L20B one. As Doug says you could swap the front case half but you would have to have a Z transmission to begin with to get the front off of. Also the 'L20B transmission will work but has lower gears not really needed with the Z24 motor. Try to find a Z24 with a transmission, it will be simpler.

You will need the Z24 brackets that bolt to the block and to the motor mounts to position the Z motor properly. The L20B are no good for this.

The Z24 exhaust down pipe is different than the L20B one.

If the Z engine is from a 720 made after April '85 it will be a Z24i and is throttle body injection (EFI) and will have a complex wiring harness with sensors and ECU box under the driver's seat. The California Z24 after the middle of '82 has an electronic feedback carb... also with the ECU box and wiring. Both would be problematic for swapping.

L20B rad is a bit small and the upper hose is on the opposite side to the Z24.

You will need a Z24 transmission to go with the motor. It will also have to be the same 31.5" long as the L20B one. As Doug says you could swap the front case half but you would have to have a Z transmission to begin with to get the front off of. Also the 'L20B transmission will work but has lower gears not really needed with the Z24 motor. Try to find a Z24 with a transmission, it will be simpler.

You will need the Z24 brackets that bolt to the block and to the motor mounts to position the Z motor properly. The L20B are no good for this.

The Z24 exhaust down pipe is different than the L20B one.

If the Z engine is from a 720 made after April '85 it will be a Z24i and is throttle body injection (EFI) and will have a complex wiring harness with sensors and ECU box under the driver's seat. The California Z24 after the middle of '82 has an electronic feedback carb... also with the ECU box and wiring. Both would be problematic for swapping.

L20B rad is a bit small and the upper hose is on the opposite side to the Z24.

Is the Z24 (720) transmission the same length as the L20B trans? Will I need the z24 a drive shaft as well? Thanks for the fast reply guys :)