My truck named Sheila

elfirebeasto

I'm new to this forum. I owned a 1984 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 a couple years ago. I came into some hard times and had to sell the truck. It pained me to do so, as I loved it dearly. The person I sold the truck to then sold the truck themselves to a guy who was fairly mechanical. He did some work but the truck fell to the wayside. So he decided to sell the truck. I jumped on the opportunity and purchased the truck back. But now to the reasoning behind this post. The alternator is shot the battery was fried and the wiring is probably in dire need of replacement. I can find a replacement alternator easy enough...but its only a 50 or 60 amp veriant. Does anyone know where to get one that could support a winch and maybe some lights and minor audio equipment? I have done some rummaging around on here and learned a lot of stuff. I am currently in GA right now until I finish my Army training. My truck is back home in KS anyway what I'm saying is I'm gathering info now and will have to execute later. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't at the moment. I posted from my phone. I can however have my wife get a few and send them my way or post them here. I can describe it though. Blue. Slightly lifted (torsion bars cranked) sitting on old crappy 30 x 9.5,s...and the passenger side is fairly messed up as it looks to have been laid over once.

Welcome ... i love blue :lol: ... cool! Its rare people have the opportunity to repurchase a rig :cool:

Get the wiring issue figured out before upgrading to all demanding components ... it will make your life much easier ... :)

Also get yourself a good repair manual and wiring diagram on hand once you are finished with training!

Winch sounds fun ... build a brushguard or heavy bumper/frame?

I will look into that. I'm not sure if autozone does still offer that as I couldn't find it online. But who is to say they don't have one gathering dust somewhere. But I can't check until I return home after I finish my training. Thanks for the help, though guys. I'm already quite happy I joined this forum. The knowledge base is huge!

SO, my wife finally sent me some photos of the truck. Here she is in all her glory and splendor. Though she's ugly, I wouldn't change her appearance for the world.

side damage and rust. I'm guessing roll over

6897144963_663c587915.jpg

front end damage and missing spot light. Will need replaced and rewired, and the headlights need rewired as they seem to have a bad short causing them to be almost non-existent when turned on.

6897144673_02eb952133.jpg

Factory tach

6897144455_2d7b51b355.jpg

Bone stock Z24. at 192k, its probably time for a rebuild or a swap.

6897144297_813ae0ed34.jpg

*Photo post attempt 7: Successful*

• 3 weeks later...

well now that you mention it, it does seem a little close to the ground for a 4x4 could use a lift. And as far as ugly wel it does have the NnnnnnnNnnnnnn ah hell that N word on the grille :P :rofl: but all kidding a side it is a 4x4 ratsun even if it has the N word on it and I am a fan of bumps, dents and mild rust as it tells a story

I love the old girl. As my training nears its end, I think more and more of all the fun I can have playin in the mud or offroading or hunting in this truck. And all of the work that still must be done. Its all so exciting. I hope the repair manual is still sitting inside it somewhere...and that the key isn't lost. I, too, like the dents, dings and rust associated with the life history of the vehicles...and how it gives them a character all their own. HOWEVER, if I ever come across a 510 2door coupe, that would be getting its cancer, dents and mishaps removed and repaired by my unskilled hand...of course in keeping with the rat-rod tradition.

Wayno, that grill is sexy. Looks like it was made with just a cutting torch and that was that.

Elfire, one caution on overamped alternators. They rarely have good warranties and usually wear out quickly in addition to costing three times as much. But all is not lost. The mounting points on the 720 alternator are at 180 degrees from each other. Measure how far apart they are center to center. If they are 5.5 inches there are a number of options out there. About six months back my friend and I put a 1995 Mustang GT 130 amp alternator in to his 1972 Datsun 240Z. Physically it took almost nothing, it was just doing the wiring that took some effort and not even that was too crazy. We got the alternator at Oreilly so it has a lifetime warranty on it as well.

Wayno, that grill is sexy. Looks like it was made with just a cutting torch and that was that.

Elfire, one caution on overamped alternators. They rarely have good warranties and usually wear out quickly in addition to costing three times as much. But all is not lost. The mounting points on the 720 alternator are at 180 degrees from each other. Measure how far apart they are center to center. If they are 5.5 inches there are a number of options out there. About six months back my friend and I put a 1995 Mustang GT 130 amp alternator in to his 1972 Datsun 240Z. Physically it took almost nothing, it was just doing the wiring that took some effort and not even that was too crazy. We got the alternator at Oreilly so it has a lifetime warranty on it as well.

Your exactly right, it was made with a cutting torch, everything on that truck was made on the fly, I still have that grill somewhere around here, it was the only body part I kept, the front half of the frame, diesel engine/tranny, and the wiring harness were all I kept.

This truck,

DSCF0024.jpg

and this truck,

DSCF0003.jpg

made this truck, I got a long box from another really ugly truck.

DSCN0959.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Datsun Dually looks badass. No denying that. I went ahead and got the cheap factory amp alternator for her. I just got back from training a few days ago to find that most of the money my wife saved had been stolen, and all I had was about 300, so I got a new set of tools (my tools had also been stolen), the alternator and a new battery. Anyway, as she sits, she runs. However, I have to pump the gas to start her, her idle is set too high (somewhere north of 1k), my passenger door refuses to open after I locked it with the key, then unlocked it the same way. It has NO sound system at all, not even wiring for it (which I already knew), turn signals don't blink, clutch peddle is drops to the floor. The tires are almost shot...and I want more power. I was thinking of grabbing a webber 32/36, but I don't know how much more that will give me. Also, the sensor light is on, but I don't recall how to check the trouble codes.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the clutch master cylinder today, as I replaced the slave when owned the truck before. However, that didn't seem to remedy the problem. I got it put in, pumped up the pressure and went to bleed at the slave and nothing. No fluid at all. So I pulled the slave cylinder off, had the wife pump the clutch and sure enough it's squirting fluid everywhere. So that leads me to believe there is some issue in the slave cylinder itself, if I have fluid and pressure at the hose going into the slave. It just sucks that the newer slave is already needing replaced. Maybe I can get it running before I go back to work on Tuesday.

I got the clutch issue sorted out. Now I have another issue. My fuel pump shut off on me going down the road. Then after sitting a while it started working again. Then it quit, started working and quit again. The last time it quit, I hooked up a 12v bulb to the circuit, and turned the ignition on, and sure enough it had power, but the pump was still dead. I swear, I fix one thing, then somethin else craps out. Also, the trans refuses to shift into reverse without grinding. I need to check the fluid to see if its something that easy, or if the syncros need replaced, which seems like it'd be a major PITA. One more thing; I just today learned that my truck is not a 1984. Vin decoding says its an '85. Then I actually check the door jamb, and it does say 1 /85. I guess my title is wrong.

I burned up two stock alternators prior to having the Saturn fall into my lap. Stock amperage is 50-60 amps if I remember right... I run an electric fan, four rock lights, a couple off-road lights, a 12v cooler, and a 9k pound winch. Although, with the heater fan on high and running everything else causes the belt to squeel. All in all I am happy with the Saturn alternator....

I got the idea from a forum thread here I believe. I've done so much to my rig that I've lost track of where the ideas have come from...

Also have a new project on the horizon!! My girl wants a wheeler of her own so I'm going to look at an '80 720 with no motor or tranny but has waggy 44's and ARB's already under it! ~~ fingers crossed ~~

Well hell I wish I'd have known about the saturn alt before I went with the stock replacement. What about the wire configuration? I'm sure you had to change something around on the output points of the saturn alt. And do you know which model saturn or just a random 2000? I may need to upgrade.

At the time I narrowed it down to a specific model but don't remember which one off the top of my head. I did a bunch of research for the wiring but in the end it was pretty simple. I'm getting ready for a long weekend of camping/wheeling this week but when I have some time I'll dig around in my records for some specifics....