Which thermostat?

I want to replace the thermostat on my 620 truck with the l20 engine,

i dont know which temperature to buy, the local store has them from 160 to 190 degrees.

I do live in wyoming where the weather gets pretty darn cold if that is a factor for chooseing.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use Stant but lately I don't know where they are being made. The temperature calibration began to slip, 180 degree thermostats not even beginning to open until 198 degrees when tested in hot water bath. I buy 180 degree NAPA "70", bar code 0 23644 00070 0, they are very accurate, made in USA by Standard-Thompson Waltham Mass, and are stainless steel and brass construction. This is a 54 mm unit and should fit.

For Wyoming, i'd go with the 190. The engine doesn't care how hot it runs (as long as it doesn't boil), but you'll enjoy the extra temp from the heater.

^ What he said..I switched my truck to a 195 Beck Arnley, and the difference when using the heater is like night and day. It works great, and contrary to popular belief, does NOT run hotter in the Summer time.

That's right, it will still be 195 in the summer time, because the hotter the coolant, the more quickly the radiator will shed it. A marginal radiator that struggles to maintain 170 can sometimes work fine at 190.

But then again it's still 195 in summer time, and many Datsun heaters never quite shut the heat off ...