620 5speed identification?

Gensaiken

Hey,

Just wondering if there is a way to identify a trans comming out of 620 if it is actually a 5speed (other than just running though the gears) and if it is actually from a 620 or not.

A transmission looks like every other transmission to me.. so any ways to identify it would be appreciated. I just like to make sure I'm getting what i'm SUPPOSED to be getting. :D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The long shaft 4 speed has a removeable acess plate on the top rear where as the 5 speed is solid.The dogleg 5 speed compared to the 4 speed has less ribs on the bell than the 4 from what I remember.There are a couple other small differences with the dog and short 4 like maybe the mount or input.Never removed the dogleg all the way.

Im sure there has to be #'s that set it apart from a 4 speed stamped into it. Or another way to tell is if it's longer than the 4 speed [short tail]. I believe all 5 speeds are long tails. So measure the 4 speed & bring a tape measure with you :D

If I had a 4speed to measure :confused:

Well I guess I'll just have to hope it is what it supposed to be. It'll be for sale as soon as I have it checked out to make sure it isn't destroyed.

The long shaft 4 speed has a removeable acess plate on the top rear where as the 5 speed is solid.The dogleg 5 speed compared to the 4 speed has less ribs on the bell than the 4 from what I remember.There are a couple other small differences with the dog and short 4 like maybe the mount or input.Never removed the dogleg all the way.

Thanks for the help... I think some one needs to put together a trans identification guide or something..

Hmm, looks like it came out of a 620 but it isn't a 5speed. Unfortunately since it was sitting outside it was hard to shift and find out. After a little bit of shifting it got a bit easier and the patern is definately 4speed. So now I need to see if the guy will give me my money back since he said it was a 5speed.

0415081207.jpg

0415081208.jpg

That's a common F4W63 4-speed. If it came out of a 620 it came out of a '72-73. More commonly it's a stock 510 trans. No 5-speeds have that bottom cover.

There are long and short versions of just about every trans, and a ton of misinformation (some of which I'm guilty of providing as I had never seen several variants).

F4W63: 4-speed, sometimes called the monkey motion shift because of how the linkage is setup. Shifter is run through the shift collar with 2 tapered rubber bushings, and threaded with a nut loching it together. ID'd by having very visable external ribbing on the case and a removable bottom pan. Speedo drive pinion is on the DRIVER's side, the only L-series trans so equipped.

Application:

'66-69 520/521 and 410 w) J13 engine (shorttail with J-series case)

'68-73 510 (shorttail with L-series case)

'70-72 521 (shorttail with L-series case and a flanged output)

'72.5-73 620 (shorttail with L-series case, same as a 510)

'73-75 610 (LONGTAIL with L-series case)

F4W63L: 4-speed, essentially a minor mod of the original 63-series trans. Major difference is the speedo pinion is moved to the passenger side, and the ribbing is not as pronounced on top. Still retains the bottom cover.

Application:

'74-77 710 (L-series front case, I believe it to be shorttail)

'78-79 510 (L-series case, shorttail)

'80-81 510 (Z-series case, shorttail)

F4W71A: 4-speed, stock on the early 240Z. Don't know what years, at least '70-71. I believe it was also the late Roadster 4-speed with the R bellhousing. I've never seen one so I can't comment on what they look like, may have had the early shifter, but it was no longer in use by 1973.

F4W71B: Identified by having a removable cover plate over the linkage on the extension housing (the only trans I know of that does). Pinned linkage shifter. No bottom plate. All the ones I've seen have 2 "ears" on the extension housing.

Application:

240Z/260Z/280Z 1973-78 (maybe '72)- longtail L-series

620 '74-79 - longtail L-series

810 '76-80 longtail L-series

720 80 longtail L-series (at least 2WD)

720 81+ (longtail NAPS-Z, don't know when 4-speeds were phased out)

Possible use on 720 diesel with SD bell pattern

I don't believe there was a short-tail version of this transmission, but possibly on a 4-speed 4X4 720 82+. Short-tail versions did not have speedo pinion if they did exist.

List is not all inclusive. Plenty of 5-speed info out there, so I won't repeat it.

That's a common F4W63 4-speed. If it came out of a 620 it came out of a '72-73. More commonly it's a stock 510 trans. No 5-speeds have that bottom cover.

There are long and short versions of just about every trans, and a ton of misinformation (some of which I'm guilty of providing as I had never seen several variants).

F4W63: 4-speed, sometimes called the monkey motion shift because of how the linkage is setup. Shifter is run through the shift collar with 2 tapered rubber bushings, and threaded with a nut loching it together. ID'd by having very visable external ribbing on the case and a removable bottom pan. Speedo drive pinion is on the DRIVER's side, the only L-series trans so equipped.

Application:

'66-69 520/521 and 410 w) J13 engine (shorttail with J-series case)

'68-73 510 (shorttail with L-series case)

'70-72 521 (shorttail with L-series case and a flanged output)

'72.5-73 620 (shorttail with L-series case, same as a 510)

'73-75 610 (LONGTAIL with L-series case)

F4W63L: 4-speed, essentially a minor mod of the original 63-series trans. Major difference is the speedo pinion is moved to the passenger side, and the ribbing is not as pronounced on top. Still retains the bottom cover.

Application:

'74-77 710 (L-series front case, I believe it to be shorttail)

'78-79 510 (L-series case, shorttail)

'80-81 510 (Z-series case, shorttail)

F4W71A: 4-speed, stock on the early 240Z. Don't know what years, at least '70-71. I believe it was also the late Roadster 4-speed with the R bellhousing. I've never seen one so I can't comment on what they look like, may have had the early shifter, but it was no longer in use by 1973.

F4W71B: Identified by having a removable cover plate over the linkage on the extension housing (the only trans I know of that does). Pinned linkage shifter. No bottom plate. All the ones I've seen have 2 "ears" on the extension housing.

Application:

240Z/260Z/280Z 1973-78 (maybe '72)- longtail L-series

620 '74-79 - longtail L-series

810 '76-80 longtail L-series

720 80 longtail L-series (at least 2WD)

720 81+ (longtail NAPS-Z, don't know when 4-speeds were phased out)

Possible use on 720 diesel with SD bell pattern

I don't believe there was a short-tail version of this transmission, but possibly on a 4-speed 4X4 720 82+. Short-tail versions did not have speedo pinion if they did exist.

List is not all inclusive. Plenty of 5-speed info out there, so I won't repeat it.

Thanks for the list. Good info to have. I'm suprised it hasn't shown up on The620.com since they have a head guide.

Also, you are dead on with the year. I didn't have time to read it at the time but it had some wrecking yard yellow scribbling on it. Turns out it says 73 Datsun on it.

I guess I will take this as a learning experince, hopefully it doesn't cost me too much :rolleyes:

Doug, the 4 speed was an option through '83 and not used with the 'new' Z24 engines starting in '84 through '86. Interestingly the next gen D-21 Hardbody did have the choice of a F4W71C type 4 speed (or a 5 speed) in '88. I've seen one in a hardbody.