Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

Well I gave up installing the passenger-side weather seal. I couldn't get it to snap into the track at the top of the door and for some reason the adhesive was not as effective as it was on the drivers-side. Luckily I never have passengers (or maybe that's unluckily?) so it shouldn't be a big problem.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First real drive with the new seals and I am so happy I finally did it. There is no longer a draft coming from my drivers door while cruising down the freeway. Now I just have to do the rears and re-attempt the passenger-side. Im thinking about just taking it to a place. Then the can properly remove the old adhesive as well as the PITA that are the seals. Plus Im sure they have bounds more experience than myself.

Either way, Im very happy with just the one seal.

I signed up for the Mitsubishi and Nissan show so hopefully they let me enter. If they do, I have a bunch of small things I want to do to get ready. Luckily its in September so I should have a small cash flow to be able to complete what I want.

Ive also been designing a couple things in SolidWorks to see if I can cut them at work. Its my first time using it since maybe 8th grade so Im pretty rusy... Hopefully all goes well and I have some new handmade parts to install.

Two things for today:

1. I seem to be getting a massive amount of brake dust on my front rims. Everything is brand new, but Im thinking that they may be cheaper pads. Id like to not have to constantly clean my SSRs. Whats everyone running that close to dustless?

2. SolidWorks is a lot easier than I remember. Maybe there have just been a lot of changes since I last used it making it better. Went through a bunch of stuff on break yesterday/this morning and seem to got it down (I still have a lot to learn though). Ive got a couple items in the works. Im thinking I can use some scrap from around the shop to make them two, so it might be a little cheaper on my end.

This isnt a really juicy update, so I apologize... here is some Katy Perry:

7545511482_ab52d808f6_o.gif

Flat tire on the way to work... FML.

I dont get it: I dont run anywhere, I dont have any crazy camber, no crazy stretch and the tire just decided to slip its bead. I was enjoying a burrito and all of a sudden the car just pulls to the right. I correct it and kept going. I get to work and as I slowed down in the parking lot I could smell a bit of rubber burning. I could then see that my right front side was lower than the rest of the car. I thought maybe I had blown a shock so I was rubbing a bit since there was no crazy noise, no ridiculous vibrations, just the right-side pull.

I get out and look at the wheel and I was still driving on tire, but it wasnt aired up at all. It had partially slipped into the well and Im lucky I made it to work safely. Both the rim and tire look fine but I wont know what happened until morning and I get the rim off. Fuck.

Another thing I cant afford to fix.

I love solidworks.

I had to take a class a couple years back. I really enjoyed it. It was nice my TA let me submit the homework online, that way I could just do the work the night before and email it, and then not go to class. I was starting to make some pretty complicated stuff, but I still had lots to learn/memorize shortcuts.

Yeah I was going through a few. It takes you a minute to figure out what the hell theyre talking about sometimes.

Exactly.

Making 3D things isn't so easy either..

Like placing a tube vertically ontop of another tube horizontally, basically something on the front face and then putting something on top of that with the top face..

it's confusing and so is solidworks lol

it's been a while, I was just messing with it to see if I could design my own brake brackets.

Yeah I was going through a few. It takes you a minute to figure out what the hell theyre talking about sometimes.

Exactly.

Like placing a tube vertically ontop of another tube horizontally, basically something on the front face and then putting something on top of that with the top face..

it's been a while, I was just messing with it to see if I could design my own brake brackets.

Exactly.

You need to think in 3D. Its how I think. When I think of anything, I think of it from every dimension in my head. The problem comes when I try to get what I see out of my head. The computer aids in that, it understands me.

You need to think in 3D. Its how I think. When I think of anything, I think of it from every dimension in my head. The problem comes when I try to get what I see out of my head. The computer aids in that, it understands me.

My mental capacity isn't that great...

I need more ram for 3D capabilities..

:lol:

I could make a set of brackets if you were still interested... My skills are currently limited to basically wheel adapters, brackets of sorts, and various plates. I have a few designs on working on they are are challenging me to get better. SolidWorks is actually easier than I expected to be honest.

I could make a set of brackets if you were still interested... My skills are currently limited to basically wheel adapters, brackets of sorts, and various plates. I have a few designs on working on they are are challenging me to get better. SolidWorks is actually easier than I expected to be honest.

When I can haz money i'll PM you.. Def interested, and you being in your current situation i'll def buy from you.

Right now I'm as broke as Jalen..

I think what is harder, is designing something that can actually be made. For basic stuff its not much worry, but for more complicated things, you have to make sure the machine can do it.

When I can haz money i'll PM you.. Def interested, and you being in your current situation i'll def buy from you.

Right now I'm as broke as Jalen..

Just let me know. With either the dimensions of a template you make, I could whip up a set pretty easy I think.

I think what is harder, is designing something that can actually be made. For basic stuff its not much worry, but for more complicated things, you have to make sure the machine can do it.

Yeah, I think thats where most of the experience comes from. The initial setup and by-off on making sure a correct part is made is probably the longest part. The program wont tell you, but sometimes you have to come up with a few steps in the machining process to be able to get a finished working part. You cant just slap a piece of metal into the machine and expect it to be cut out right every time.

Nice render Duke!

:confused: What title?

Ive used Blender a bit for created objects with 3D printers, but I find it a bit clunky. I know quite a few people that use it though because its free and capable (ish). Im very happy to be switching over to SolidWorks and I cant wait to learn more.

Datsun mechanic. MetalMonkey got stripped of it when he couldnt figure out how points worked.

Blender and Solidworks are completely different. Blender is an extremely capable program, mainly for artistic purposes. Did you know lots of Spiderman 2 was made with Blender? You are working with individual points in space in Blender, you are working with objects in Solidworks.

Correct... Blender just really wasnt for me. Ive got a bunch of friends in the rapid prototyping field that switched to SW and havent looked back from Blender. Then again they dont do CGI for Spiderman either; just things out of ABS.

I just think SW is the way to go for many reasons. The easiest being that that is what work uses so I need to get in step if I want to cheaply make my own parts with the shops machines. I get the run of the place when there arent jobs running so Im trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can so I can start churning out my own parts. Id like to be able to supliment a little bit of my income with a few parts I whip up in the shop. I can dream anyway.

Datsun mechanic. MetalMonkey got stripped of it when he couldnt figure out how points worked.

Oh god I'm giving him shit for that :rofl: :rofl:

I remember trying blender for it's physics...

fuck that shit.

Don't judge me

But I was messing around with SW motorizing/ animation I guess? Well I made a silencer pretty much and made the bullet with gasses go through the baffles of the silencer... pretty cool stuff

Id totally take that Q... Ive been trying to look up some books through Demonoid to see what I can download, but I must not be searching for the right terms... not much comes up. I think Ive been looking specifically for 2012 stuff which there just may not be a lot on that site yet for that release.

I can slide by your place for that book and then fight love on one of your moms cats.

Hmm, well maybe I will keep that in mind, and then make up some parts on my end. I have nothing planned at the moment.

Are you stating that youd like me to cut parts for you? Every day I seem to want to make something new. I have two specific parts in mind I want to make right now. Both should be pretty easy to get into the process, but I think a few people might want them. Theres a couple options already for people to pick up other versions, but I think these will be superior. I have a little book I keep with me with sketches and ideas.