1979 datsun 620 z24 swap

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure you just need to get z24 motor mounts and swap the bellhousing.

Search function yo. Been done, covered, discussed

But more importantly......

Why haven't you posted pics of your truck?

laugh.gif seems like he wants a quick answer without any effort....

honestly... this have been done, documented.... mounts, trans or bellhousing... throttle wire (i think)... mabey a new trans mount and mabey a new drive line (depending on if your using a longtail trans, and swapping to a short/vice versa) .... money, welder, and an ability to problem solve

"how would i do the swap" = you shouldnt be doing this.... if you dont know what you need, or how to do it (and its not a "new"/"unique" swap... then you really shouldnt screw with it)

if it runs, leave it..... find out how to do swaps, learn to weld... then go ahead...

Rolls Royce Merlin 1 with.... throttle level? :)

oh im sry i didnt know we were playing a one upper gamebiggrin.gif lol ... theres a guy in england that had a merlin in like an 80's quattro if i remember... and it wasnt nearly as quick as youd think.... but regardless....

i see your merlin

and raise you one of the warp drive engines from the NCC - 1701 - D laugh.gif

Hi i need to know what i have to do to swap a 1984 z24 into my 79 620 with a 4 speed do i have to change the trans and how would i do the swap thanks

You cannot use your '79 transmission with a Z24 motor. You will need any 2wd 720 or S110 ('80-'83 200sx) Z series 4 or 5 speed for this. The Z transmission has to be 31.5" long and not 26". In a pinch you could use a 4X4 transmission but you won't have a speedometer.

Keep the angled motor mounts from the Z24. I assume this is not a 4X4 engine?????

Keep and use the Z24 throttle cable.

Keep and modify the Z24 down pipe and mate to the '79 exhaust system.

The Z24 does not have it's own fuel pump so get the electric one on the 720.

Rad hose will need to be modified to fit the left side of the 620 rad. The Z24 rad won't fit.

• 4 years later...

Hello guys. I have a 77 620 single cab long bed. I picked up a d21 1986 that is hit in the back. I am trying to swap motors, I put the z24 in with the tranny the tranny from the z24 is 31 1/2 in. But it's to short I would have to do some mods. Is there another Trans I can use? I appreciate any good comment

Hi Ricky welcome to Ratsun. I would ask you to start your own thread about this so that all answers are yours and there is no mix up with 79lowrider who's post you are in. Find the 620 truck section and fire away. Introduce yourself and please post some pictures of your 620.