Phirus 1977 Datsun 620 King Cab

KC Phirus

I feel kind of bad for waiting this long before sharing my truck. A proper introduction is past due.

Hello.

My name is Charles. And I am a datsunoholic. Therapy not necessary.

I guess it's dad's fault. He always had a datto or two, or three, my entire life. My first car was a 1969 SPL311. I was seven, the cylinder head was in the floorboard. Didn't make much progress on that one. I recently started my tour of the "real world". Getting to work and school on my 2008 Yamaha Zuper Zuma. I was making good cash so I figured it was time for another "first car" before it started getting too cold. (this is were it stops being about me and the story of the truck begins)

I love craiglist. I love window shopping. Nothing like spending a couple hours on craigslist looking at all the old cars and trucks I can't afford. But things change, like getting a job. A maniacal minimum wage mess of menstruating women. Or as they call it, Dollar General. So all of a sudden, I'm looking at vehicles with the intentions of actually buying one! Naturally, I stick datsun in the search bar whenever I'm browsing craigslist. Back in early August, someone post a pair of datsun pickups. No picture, not much info, and no phone number. Me and my dad both emailed this guy, for about two weeks. No response sad.gif About a month later, we're driving up north to pick up a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. As we get to Pickens, we get a phone call. Low and behold, it's the truck man! Good thing we left a number in those emails! His names Craig biggrin.gif He apologizes for not getting to his emails in so long and ask if we're still interested. Uh.. Yeah! We ask him to give us an address. I'm driving, dad's writing. Blah Blah Blah turn before the gas station on HWY 8. (the road we just turned on in downtown Pickens. After a month of no contact, this guy calls us when we're 3 miles from his house. Destiny. frantics.gifWe turn on his road and a couple blocks later see a double wide with two 620s parked out front. We hop out, introduce ourselves, and I start investigating.

Not one but TWO 620s. A 1977 King Cab (75% of the reason for selling my 75' was that I didn't fit) with a metallic purple paint job and a topper. And a 78-9 regular cab longbed that had seen better days. Story was.. He purchased them both, 77 as a daily driver and 78 as a parts truck. The 77 was a hunting truck. Many years of it's 226k miles were puttin around in the woods. He drove the 77 for about 3 years till the rad went bad. Bought a jeep and parked it. Sat stale for a year and a half. I look over them both like I'm some kind of crazed appraiser. I ask him how much? He tells me (wonderful price here). I tell him I'll be back in 2 weeks. So we precede to pick up my friend, drive back home, and party for two weeks. I put together a datto tool bucket, grab my trolling motor battery, and get a fresh gallon of gas. We stop by on the way to drop the friend off and the man had drug the trucks out of the weeds for me. We stick a running garden hose in the water inlet, fill the float bowl with a honey bottle, and fired that bitch up.w00t.gif (not that I expected any different) We do some talkin, some reminiscing, and I hand him some cash for a bill of sale. I spend the next three weeks saving up the rest of the money, and trying to find a way to get these trucks home. My good buddy Ray Ray was able to get a trailer from his work. So we load up in his 75' Scottsdale with a 350 hobby car motor and a 5 speed ( orange n scary) and fill'er up. As expected when working with Ray, we end up pulling into the projects (in an extremely loud truck sporting a confederate flag and a car trailer) to grab a bag of danky dank. He's drivin, I'm rollin a blunt, and it's time for more gas ollz. (holley double pumper on a 7k rpm v8) A good long trip, trippin, haulin down the highway. The truck starts missing, and losing power. So Ray's flippin. We get to Pickens and stop to pull the plugs and scrub them up a bit. He overfilled the oil at the last gas station (quart a day). By the time we get to the trucks it's sunset. We've just finished a blunt and we're both high as a kite. Seeing my new trucks made my heart thump.The mans gone, his wife comes out to meet me with a signed title in hand and a bill of sale for the 78. We make our cash transaction and she go's back inside.

Time to load. We decide to take the 77 first. I figure we can drive it up on the trailer if we feed it fuel and be sure not to overheat it with no rad. The truck struggles for about 15 feet with ,Ray feeding it fuel from a 2 stroke bottle, and I cut it off cause it's past mid temp gauge. I get out and see that the front right and rear left wheels are locked up and digging a gorge through the dirt. dry.gif There's the problem! Times a wasting so I wait for the temp to go down, start it up, and get it to the base of the trailer ramp. It's not driving up that trailer with locked up brakes spinning one wheel. I start pushing while Ray pushes on the locked up front wheel and we manage to get the front tires on the trailer. sweat.gif We needed a come along. So we improvise. We hook up two ratchet straps to the front of the truck and front of the trailer. We start with one and ratchet it till it's tight then pull up on it to slide the truck up the ramp about 2 inches. Then the other one. Repeating this till we've got the front wheels on the trailer and we're worn the hell out, it's dark, and our buzz is gone. Craig pulls up, we show him our progressrolleyes.gif and he go's hunting for his come along. Woohoo! Trucks on the trailer, strapped down, and it's time to roll a blunt.

Pictures are clickable

noname.jpg

The next morning we go and load up the parts truck, no hassle.

Well here they are as I got them.

P1080333.jpg

P1080334.jpg

P1080335.jpg

P1080336.jpg

P1080337.jpg

P1080338.jpg

P1080339.jpg

P1080341.jpg

Came with a set of stock steelies. A set of Toyota steelies. Blue slot wheels with an offset. And some old Fenton racing wheels on the parts truck.

Most of the parts on the 78 had been used on the 77 already.

(I had moved the topper off the 77)

P1080343.jpg

P1080344.jpg

Intro Done yo.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While getting it tuned up, I ran the truck from a gas can under the hood.

Drove fine, ebrake stopped it. Master cylinder looked like shit and was empty. Decided to get one from rockauto

First mods. Dad sold his 84 MB 300td then went and bought a 79 MB 300td the next day. addict

It had a CB and a RD-1 radar detector which I claimed laugh.gif

P1080363.jpg

all lit up

P1080368.jpg

Saved up some cash and went shopping (love rockauto)

P1080371.jpg

master cylinder. wheel cylinders. brake hoses. shoes. bearings. carb rebuid. Got the drums surfaced and found a full timing kit and gasket set in the back.

First time I had ever changed bearings. Discovered the joy of replacing bearing race twofinger_salute.gif

P1080356.jpg

Had started on the bodywork.

P1080357.jpg

P1080360.jpg

P1080342.jpg

I've decided to pull the paint down to the metal a bit at the time and do some good bodywork with minimal bondo (getting bitched at for this and don't understand the harm in doing things right)

Stripping and sanding tonight.

Cold morningP1080408.jpg

Sewed myself a shifter boot from an old windbreaker

P1080410.jpg

with a pocket

P1080411.jpg

Hood Ornament

P1080482.jpg

16$ shorty Jones glasspack (need more pipe to put it where I want it)

P1080491.jpg

I flipped my shifter around so it sits back further. Replaced the bushings. The copper washers from the old wheel cylinders worked great!

Put the new boot on.

Had to flip console mount so shifter clears console in reverse.

New stereo. No cd, uses a card reader, aux, or usb.

Cup holder! not sure where I wanna stick it yet.

P1080496.jpg

New 6x9s in the rear (going to do the whole interior with panel eventually.

P1080498.jpg

Hidef component set for the front. Got a rotozip today. gotta cut some board for the subs.

P1080499.jpg

Making progress

P1080552.jpg

Did the driverside fender tonight

P1080553.jpg

P1080554.jpg

P1080555.jpg

P1080556.jpg

P1080557.jpg

P1080558.jpg

P1080561.jpg

Made me a spot and moved into my tiny tidy shop. With a heater biggrin.gif

P1080563.jpg

Under that purple was a very straight, rust free fender.

P1080566.jpg

Work work work

work work

work work work work

When do have no job and no money, best you can do is work with whatcha got biggrin.gif

My intentions were to rebuild the brakes, an put this thing on the road. But since I can't afford to insure it. I'll just work on it!

Not too bad under there.

P1080613.jpg

P1080614.jpg

P1080615.jpg

P1080616.jpg

P1080617.jpg

P1080618.jpg

P1080619.jpg

P1080620.jpg

P1080621.jpg

P1080622.jpg

P1080623.jpg

P1080624.jpg

P1080625.jpg

P1080626.jpg

So I needed to pull the passenger side window crank. Well.... the pin was gone and it was stuck real good. I bent a hammer trying to pry it off. Tore it up with a screwdriver. Then FINALLY popped it off with a ball joint puller and a small roar. It bounced off the back of the cab and out the driver side window.

P5170102.jpg

Ahhhhhh

P5170104.jpg

P5170105.jpg

P5170106.jpg

The Wizard came to help

P5170108.jpg

P5170109.jpg

P5170110.jpg

Super duper ultra sticky rust killing stopping doo doo brown rustoleum primer!

P5170111.jpg

P5170112.jpg

Just brushed the floors. Going to bring the truck down to the shop (as soon as I get the chain back on the door pulley) and spray it when it's ready.

The flowers have been blooming since Christmas blink.gif

P5170114.jpg

Sorry bud, didnt notice how big it was, i'll edit.....sad.gif

Also..that's what she said.

laugh.gif

Bitches don't know bout my photoshop.

So I'm tired. It's a rare occurrence.

I'm going to go to bed.

I have to go to the shop and pull the chain pulley off the wall (like 15ft up hmm.png) So I can put the chain back on and open the door.

Then you guys can get pics of my ultra top secret personal shop I never use cause I need to fix the roof leaks and put some damned lights in itlol.gif

Then I'll hit it with the leaf blower for a couple hours so It's suitable to paint in.

I forget I have access to it sometimes. It's big enough for my boat, my 67 eldorado, and a buick roadmaster estate wagon all at once (shit you not). And it has a pit frantics.gif

Hmm side project. Fix up the shop so I can fix up the datto! WIN

So so so

Anyone a fan of the lower, rear, inner manifold bolt? twofinger_salute.gif

P1080629.jpg

P1080632.jpg

Left is what I had, right is from the parts truck.

P1080633.jpg

P1080634.jpg

P1080635.jpg

I've seen dirtier 220k mile engines.

P1080636.jpg

P1080637.jpg

See the chew marks in the gasket?

P1080638.jpg

P1080640.jpg

From what I've learned. This is TDC on a time engine! (would like some confirmation though)

cam gear Notch lines up with dash.

P1080645.jpg

crank Notch at 0

P1080646.jpg

Cam positions

P1080647.jpg

Looks correct....also looks like you have the sprocket at No 1 position....

Hard to tell where the notch on the back of the sprocket is...relative to mark on the thrust plate

Actually...looking at the pic.....it looks like the notch is on the left...relative to mark on thrust plate?

If that's the case...chain is stretched....and I would try No 3 position, advance the cam

The top sprocket is at #2 pic shows notch directly on the dash not sure what your saying sorry.

Chain is stretched, 226k miles.

That's why it's being replaced tongue.gif

there's a sub freezing wind out there so I'm having a jam session atm.

Pic of sprocket from front, level shot with bolt removed...at TDC