• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're at TDC ...but.....to determine head timing...need a better pic

P1080646.jpg

This looks like the sprocket is at No 1 position

P1080645.jpg

Notice the position of No2 on the sprocket?

And what looks like a 1 where the dowel is

So should the 1 be on top?

I'm using hainz vid as a guide.

Not sure where the crank notch is supposed to be at since it has the saw edge thingy.

Okay...this engine is timed at No 2.....(bad pic)

zip6.jpg

Notice the 3 dowel holes in the center of the sprocket?

The No 2 hole is straight up...(actually just slightly to the right)....the corresponding No 2 mark on the outer edge of the sprocket is around 2ish o'clock....which is where the bright/shiney link will 'aligned' for head timing. Crank is set to O degrees TDC. And of course...always mark the chain before pulling sprocket....since your bright links are now MIA

Now...from your pics it looks like you have No 1 dowel straight up....(?)...non conducive for a stretched chain.....you might be able to locate the dowel to No 3 position to compensate...of course the 'bright link' will now be placed next to the No 3 mark on the outer edge of the sprocket.

Pics

Get it?.... :D

Okay...this engine is timed at No 2.....(bad pic)

zip6.jpg

Notice the 3 dowel holes in the center of the sprocket?

The No 2 hole is straight up...(actually just slightly to the right)....the corresponding No 2 mark on the outer edge of the sprocket is around 2ish o'clock....which is where the bright/shiney link will 'aligned' for head timing. Crank is set to O degrees TDC. And of course...always mark the chain before pulling sprocket....since your bright links are now MIA

Now...from your pics it looks like you have No 1 dowel straight up....(?)...non conducive for a stretched chain.....you might be able to locate the dowel to No 3 position to compensate...of course the 'bright link' will now be placed next to the No 3 mark on the outer edge of the sprocket.

Pics

Get it?.... :D

Nope don't get it.

Goal here is to replace sprockets, chain, guides, and tensioner.

Where do I need to position this thing before I take it apart?

You're close enough...take it apart.... :D

ollz alright. I went out there to check it out.

I turned the crank till the notch was on the saw and it's right back where the pics are. The chain is completely loose on the right side. the rail thingy is about an inch from it. There is a nice gouge in my valve cover.

Also, as I turned the engine (with the plugs in) there is some serious hissing leaky sounds.