720 disks on a drum 620?

benny620

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings from Australia, just wondering if its possible to mate a 720 disk brake front end to a 620 with drums? i have a donor vehicle already and this decides if it stays as a runner or gets raped for parts.

step 1 - Use the search function

step 2 - (if step one doesn't produce anything helpful) http://community.ratsun.net/topic/23286-ratsun-advanced-search-on-google/

step 3 - (if neither work) then ask, but please show you've put some effort into this

also.... it is possible to do anything with your truck with time and money.... hell you could turn your 620 into a functional space shuttle

• Like 1

LOL!!!! Seriously? Although I agree with you Digi, you could have at least added something useful for the new guy.....since at 90 posts, you're still pretty much a new guy too. :) If I hadn't gotten a chuckle from the irony, I'd have completely passed this by.....

Benny.... search engine on Ratsun pretty much sucks, but there's ton's of info on this site covering several options concerning your question. Digi's response was probably triggered by the fact that "discs on a kingpin" is the all time most asked question on this forum. Anyone asking the question has pretty much said "I just found this forum on a google search and I haven't even spent 10 minutes looking around for an answer yet....I'm being lazy and just want you to give it to me." .....or something like that. LOL If you stick around, you'll see what I mean in just a couple of weeks. :) I'm not trying to badger you....just giving you a bit of perspective as to why you got a response like that. Anyway.......

The first question for you is, are you looking to swap the ball joints too, or just the discs? I have a kit that will let you(depending on the year of your 720) put your hubs, rotors, calipers onto the stock kingpin suspension. Visit my site... www.bluehandsinc.com and you'll find all the info. Just click on the title line of the kit listing at the top. If you want to convert to ball joints, then you'll need to do some research and dig up threads from a member named Beebani. I'm sure if you search the for sale section, you'll find it fairly quickly.

Here's a tip about searching Ratsun.... use google!!! In the google search, type in disc kingpin;ratsun.net it will limit your search, or at least give priority to results on Ratsun. You'll find a bunch of links and they'll, of course, lead to other links or ideas for searches.

Good luck and welcome to Ratsun :)

Mike, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

You're OG too blood. You are so Ratsun, that you never had anyone give you a hard time for being a noob. Seems like it is a rite of passage, or a hazing situation now... stumble on Ratsun, ask the age old 620 drum conumdrum, and get hosed... then take it out on somebody else after 90 posts...

Hahahahahah

Digi, man it's cool. We have all felt like screaming did you ever think to search? If you didn't growl at him somebody else would have. Hey, there have been times when for what ever reason I was lazy or didn't have time to search, and knew somebody would help me out... and they do.

If Mike and Jason and a bunch of other guys hadn't spent months and years working all this shit out... probably none of us would have done it.

So Mike goes and gets material, fabs brackets, get parts, puts the kits together, takes all kind of OICS and posts hundreds of OICS and Vids... the some chump talks his ear off on the phone, E-mails him, and finally, buys a kit for whatever a $150?... and the materials alone cost at least $75 to produce???? That ain't being in business, or making money.

We are fucking lucky to be able to do a great working, easy swap that is cheap! If the kits were double the price, they would still be worth it... unless you love your 620 drums. Really it's only been in the last two years that there was even something like this. There were guys doing Wilwood setups but for show trucks and it was a few grand, not for daily drivers.

If Mike had a nickel for every hour he spent in R & D, setting up to produce and then sell these kits... he could buy enough beer to drown himself... 'cept he doesn't drink. Well, we live to fight another day, right Mike?

LOL! Awesome! :) Thanks Fig! I hardly ever get called a gentleman :) ....and compared to a true "scholar of life" such as yourself, I can't even read!!

Heck....if I had a dollar for every hour I spent answering questions on Bee's kit, directing people to Bee's kit, and generally laying out the comparisons so that they end up going with Bee's kit.......I could drown at least two of you. LOL. :) A nickel for every hour spent on my stuff....probably about the same since that would be a 20:1. I had a couple hundred hours into Paula's discs and I put those on about 7 years ago. Geez.....I've been playing with them for quite some time now! Anyway.....

As for the lack of harassment.....I had somewhere around 1800 posts on NWDE.org by the time Ratsun came around and we all switched over. But, I've found posts (in ddgonzal's archive) that I made where I sounded like a complete moron! LOL! Those guys were a bit more forgiving back then :)

Speaking of nwde....here's a link to the info from there....sorry no pics, but it's kinda fun to see some of the history and progression...

http://ddgonzal.members.winisp.net/nwde/2005.htm

Anyone that visits that link should click on the logo in the top left, then bookmark that page. I still miss that forum.

LOL!!!! Seriously? Although I agree with you Digi, you could have at least added something useful for the new guy.....since at 90 posts, you're still pretty much a new guy too. :) If I hadn't gotten a chuckle from the irony, I'd have completely passed this by.....

Benny.... search engine on Ratsun pretty much sucks, but there's ton's of info on this site covering several options concerning your question. Digi's response was probably triggered by the fact that "discs on a kingpin" is the all time most asked question on this forum. Anyone asking the question has pretty much said "I just found this forum on a google search and I haven't even spent 10 minutes looking around for an answer yet....I'm being lazy and just want you to give it to me." .....or something like that. LOL If you stick around, you'll see what I mean in just a couple of weeks. :) I'm not trying to badger you....just giving you a bit of perspective as to why you got a response like that. Anyway.......

The first question for you is, are you looking to swap the ball joints too, or just the discs? I have a kit that will let you(depending on the year of your 720) put your hubs, rotors, calipers onto the stock kingpin suspension. Visit my site... www.bluehandsinc.com and you'll find all the info. Just click on the title line of the kit listing at the top. If you want to convert to ball joints, then you'll need to do some research and dig up threads from a member named Beebani. I'm sure if you search the for sale section, you'll find it fairly quickly.

Here's a tip about searching Ratsun.... use google!!! In the google search, type in disc kingpin;ratsun.net it will limit your search, or at least give priority to results on Ratsun. You'll find a bunch of links and they'll, of course, lead to other links or ideas for searches.

Good luck and welcome to Ratsun :)

btw the kits are a good way to go... my trucks p/o bought one of mikes^ kits and its completely solid

....but the point is, in the brakes section, at the top of the section... theres a pinned thread.... with 100% of all the info... http://community.rat...um-brake-truck/ ... (i caught it while coming to this thread) minus the point that if you even type in "620 disk brake conversion" in the 620 section... it brings up like 8 threads

(also i might have only ~90 posts, ive never gotten on here and asked a single question, and i help all i can ... but ive been registered on ratsun for nearly a year, and i was lurking as a guest for about a year and a half... i took skibs advice "before you register spend a few months and look around, learn every thing you can, and DO RESEARCH. No one will help if you ask and obviously lazy/stupid question that can be answered with 5 seconds of searching")

:) !!! Digi....my apologies....seriously, I wasn't trying to rag on you....it just struck me a bit funny. It's simply a matter of perspective.....and being really tired LOL I understand that a low post count doesn't mean low experience or knowledge....but at first glance, that is the stereotypical thought. We've got a few on here that have high post counts, but really never add anything of value. I'm hardly active on here at all these days, so I'm sure there's a lot of new people that would wonder who the heck I am to give you a hard time. :)

I am in complete agreement with you. I've pm'd a lot of newbs with similar suggestions. I don't tend to post much of that kind of thing on the open forum. But, it is good to have it on the open forum some....maybe the next newb will see it while they're lurking and proceed to do their "due diligence".

You did it exactly how I'd like to see everyone do it....and it's the same way I did it when I started on NWDE......so let me just say, for myself and the rest of the "old timers" on here...thank you...we do greatly appreciate that you did it that way!! It can be seen as a sign of respect for the "Datzenmikes" on here. They're willing to help and answer almost anything, but a newb will certainly get a lot more help if it appears that they've already done some leg work before asking. :) I'll take one addition to Ratsun like yourself over another 50 of the normal signups. :)

lol...your post changed while I was typing. Who was the previous owner? I've only sold a couple that far east, but I've never heard of any of them actually installing it.

Sry, i thought adding in that my 620 has your kit (and its absolutely awesome) would be a good bit of info to divulge... the p/o was "bullet_theory" (he was from new mexico) i purchased the truck from him and he told me about the mods he has done. And until like 3 days ago i never knew what a "mklotz brake kit" was lol ... i googled it a few times with no success....

Yep...that's a pretty cool piece of info...thanks for adding it :) I'm tickled pink to hear that you like it LOL

I don't recognize the screen name, but then again, off forum, I deal with most of the guy's real names.

I just googled "620 disc brake" and the #10 choice was my bluehandsinc.com site. I wonder if my computer/browser is "biased" towards finding my stuff since I do searches to find it. Rather than try to find a thread of mine on Ratsun, I just type in "roadster brake mklotz70;ratsun.net" and google pops it right up for me. I do that every time I have something new to add to one of my threads.....so much faster to find them that way than trying to dig through the forum. Anyway......

Funny, I just came in the house to take a break after hitting my thumb REALLY hard while pounding out bearing races. I'm in the middle of installing one of Mikes kit's right now. I am normally a cheap bastard that has to figure out, and do everything myself. But it was clear when I did some research, that Mike puts out a quality kit and did a ton of R and D.

The thing that sold me on Mikes kit was, it uses all Datsun parts. I dont want to put Honda and Isuzu parts on my 521. I'm trying to see how fast I can make a Datsun go, not a hodge podge. I have a thread going in project Datto, but was just going to breeze through my brake conversion, because Mike covers it very well in his threads. But I'll take some pic's and put something up in the next few days, or when my thumb stops throbbing.

Benny, head to the parts for sale section and look up mikes disc brake kits. Some good pics there.And, welcome to the pack.

thanks for the responses guys, and i was fully prepared for the usual onslaught of 'learn how to search noob' having had a bit of a poke around with no luck i figured i'd ask anyway, ice breaker is an ice breaker regardless. i'll be starting a thread soon, nothing special, just giving a beaten old ute a few more years life.

Thanks for all the awesome endorsements guys! :) Looks like I may be down to one kit pretty soon. I won't be doing any more of those. Maybe something similar down the road, but since it's taken nearly a year to sell this batch, I'm not in any hurry to tie up that much of my play money any time soon. I'll be buried with Z'd control arms, kingpin replacements, and roadster brakes for the next while....and maybe....just maybe, I'll actually work on Mend :)