Head Gasket Leak?

KC Phirus

1. 1. Should I Rebuild?

• Yes
    • No

77 l20B

There is an oil.... seepage... under cylinder 1. about 1 inch wide.

Is it probable that the head gasket has gone bad between an oil channel?

The engine has lots of power, no major issues. The timing chain slaps sometimes.

I already have a gasket set and timing kit. Should I get some rings and bearing and rebuild the L20B?

By the way It shows 26k on dash. Probably 226k. Mountain town miles.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the fuel pump. There are two gaskets and a phenolic spacer. The spacer is easily cracked from over tightening it. If you look, there is also a pin that everything inside hinges on. Oil can easily wet the outside from this.

Get some carb spray and clean thoroughly on and around the pump. Let dry. Drive it and check often to locate where the leak is exactly.

V912Lhead.jpg

Remotely possible the head gasket around the timing chain area is leaking but this isn't serious. This area is not under any pressure and is only sealing in fumes and chain spray. The only place this is serious would be between cylinder 2 and 3. This is where the oil feeds up from the block into the head to lube the cam and rockers.

Its directly under the spark plug.

I need to do timing chain and valve seals anyways. Hell guess I'll get the head dipped at that point.

Damn so if the heads off might as well do the rings.

Well those are out of the way so time to do a full block dip and replace all the bearings..

It's an addiction.

Not the worst kind though.

I just know that once I get the front of the engine off to do the chain....

If i was driving across country ... a new hg and timing chain would be the first two things i would perform as preventative "maintanance" :) ...

Do a heater core back flush, and replace all little rubber coolant lines to ensure your successful trip ;)

Perform compression and leak down test ... that should give a really good direction on possible engine overhaul more than anything ... unless it eats oil like no other :lol:

If cylinders have a good.high compression seal ... leave the rings be ....

I would clean the area and see where it's coming from. There is nothing but water and cylinder under the #1 plug. Has to be running there from somewhere else.

Is this the motor with the big cloud behind it today???

??

It smokes if I start it after sitting a day. Valve guide seals I suppose. Has yet to smoke after it's warmed up.

Breaking out the pressure washer in the morning.

Yeah I just want it to get me there, I can rebuild it after I get there. I was to do SC or Turbo with EFI and stock internals.

Definitely going to get the compression tool.

Whats a leak down test?

It hasn't lost enough oil to see it on the dipstick BUT it also hasn't been out on the road much.

Going to try and get my dad to register it and insure it with me as a second driver on Monday so I can afford to drive it. 175$/month insurance for myself.

A week on the road with some highway miles + a very good cleaning should give me an idea of what all I need to do.

Have you checked your valve cover? I know on my Z it leaks oil sometimes from the valve cover and it runs off the head to the point where it really isn't noticeable but I can see it on the block and it looks like it's leaking from around the head.