l20b swap?

Hey guys,

I have an 81 510 goon with the 88hp z motor and 3 speed auto that it came with stock.

There is most likely a walk through about this already on here but I couldn't find one in the search.

I want to do a swap to an l20b and hopefully throw in a 4 or preferably 5 speed manual while I am at it.

From everything I have read, the l20 should mount right to existing motor mount placements and what not.

I am wondering about a few things:

What all do I need to get with the l20b and what can I use that is already in my goon?

What trannys mount up and which are best choices for this swap(in terms of ease)?

Any general advice on the subject you think I should know.

This goon is my daily. But I have read that the l20b swap takes about a day to do and is probably the cheapest swap with a noticeable improvement over my stock engine.

Thanks and I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong forum.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

Hey guys,

I have an 81 510 goon with the 88hp z motor and 3 speed auto that it came with stock.

There is most likely a walk through about this already on here but I couldn't find one in the search.

I want to do a swap to an l20b and hopefully throw in a 4 or preferably 5 speed manual while I am at it.

From everything I have read, the l20 should mount right to existing motor mount placements and what not.

I am wondering about a few things:

What all do I need to get with the l20b and what can I use that is already in my goon?

What trannys mount up and which are best choices for this swap(in terms of ease)?

Any general advice on the subject you think I should know.

This goon is my daily. But I have read that the l20b swap takes about a day to do and is probably the cheapest swap with a noticeable improvement over my stock engine.

Thanks and I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong forum.

its actually a Downgrade the L20 you will have to get will be the 1980 smogged to be legit

KA24DE, it's newer (hence will meet CA emissions) and make oh about a trillion times more HP

I saw that swap in the article I was reading about the l20 swap.

But isn't that a much more costly and difficult swap?

I'd be all for it to get a little pep under the goon's hood. It's a decent goon with a little front fender damage but the whole car only has 81,xxxx miles on it and everything is original thus far. So if I could get her up to speed with some more horses then I wouldn't mind giving her a little loving with some paint and some super cool sexy wheels and what not.

Not to mention the z engine in there at the moment isn't the best on gas from what I've seen.

^^^^ What GGzilla said and will bolt up to your "Z" series trans

Do you or ggzilla know of a ka24de completed swap thread that I could maybe piggy back off of for some info on what I need to do for it.

or do you guys know?

will I have to move anything from the engine compartment? battery? any of that?

will it sit on the existing x member and all that?

and I would definitely swap the tranny if I put in a ka engine. The 3 speed auto wouldn't do that engine justice.

Sadly, I don't think I would have the time for anything past a weekend of work.

As this goon is my daily.

I might just have to put off an engine swap until I can get a hold of a different daily or just a different datto from an earlier year so I don't have emissions restrictions and I can throw that l20 in on a saturday.

Z series is 4cyl.. don't these maxima have 6 cyl L26 from 260z!??!! L20b is 4cyl, L28et/5spd from 280zx would be a nice swap!!!

Agreed with ggzilla and hamuck

L24 in early maximal ... efi. ... head is different than l24 from 240z and some internal differences ... not a 260z :blink:

L24 = 240z

L26 = 260z

L28 = 280z/280zx

bananahamuck, why would and L block with Z head (LZ22) be better than a Z22? I know that people usually upgrade the parts when creating an LZ, but why not just spend the same time and effort modifying the Z22? After all, he doesn't need to "match" the original L-block to his car or transmission like the 510 guys do, his A10 already has the Z transmission and Z engine installed.

In any case, a KA24DE will outdo an LZ22 for the same money spent.

what about just a single cam KA if your on the topic of KA's

a lot cheaper than the twin cam, more powerful than the stocker, but still not a weekend job

At this point it's mostly time that would be the real limiting factor without another car to daily around.

Although, i might be able to slip around that if I can find some vacation time from work.

or if I win the lotto...

dare to dream, right?

bananahamuck, why would and L block with Z head (LZ22) be better than a Z22? I know that people usually upgrade the parts when creating an LZ, but why not just spend the same time and effort modifying the Z22? After all, he doesn't need to "match" the original L-block to his car or transmission like the 510 guys do, his A10 already has the Z transmission and Z engine installed.

In any case, a KA24DE will outdo an LZ22 for the same money spent.

I was thinking a NapZ block with L20 head for better breathing and it would still match up to trans,,,,,,

BUT,, since i now have read he can`t legally change much of anything emissions wise ( I live i Washington so i have no idea what you can change )

i would just lower it a little and get some wicked rims and tires ...then lower it so more..

My old 510 ain`t fast it`s a Datsun

I was thinking a NapZ block with L20 head for better breathing and it would still match up to trans,,,,,,

BUT,, since i now have read he can`t legally change much of anything emissions wise ( I live i Washington so i have no idea what you can change )

i would just lower it a little and get some wicked rims and tires ...then lower it so more..

My old 510 ain`t fast it`s a Datsun

california is pretty stiff when it comes to emissions.

Although, you are right about lowering it. and some rims. boy would she look sexy with some new wheels.

To be honest, I'm not looking for a race car improvement.

If anything, some minor acceleration and gas mileage improvements would be prime time.

And I think for now, I might just swap out the differential. I posted a thread a while back and found out that my diff runs like 3.1xx ratio. I'll look up the other differentials that fit this puppy and swap one in. Changing a diff only takes a few hours so I can do that on a saturday like bread and butter.