Pistons Anyone?

docbainey

Was checkin out the Jason Gray thread with the all the variables, rod length, stroke, piston compression height etc. Went to the Summmit Racing site, see link, and you can search pistons by size inculding compression height. Other details include ring thickness, wrist pin dia etc are also included in the description along with what it fits. Anyways there are alot of pistons not made for Nissans that will work in bastardized engine configurations, I.E. strokers, longer rods, etc

http://www.summitrac.../?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

FWIW

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. I recently bought pistons from Summit. I went to the Silvolite (Keith Black budget line) website, And in the online catalog, found Ka 24 pistons with full floating wrist pins. #9115 Went to Summit and they had them for $160.00

The Silvolite catalog lists all the specs for all models as well.

They look pretty decent for cast pistons, although I've heard of failures. We will soon find out.

None I saw had the piston dish listed nor the pin diameter.

its in the detailed info..

Bore (in)

3.346 in.Bore (mm)

85.000mmPiston Style

Dish, with four valve reliefsPiston Material

Hypereutectic aluminumCompression Distance (in)

1.203 in.Wrist Pin Style

Press-fitPin Diameter (in)

0.866 in.Piston Ring Thickness

1.20mm x 1.20mm x 2.80mmQuantity

Sold individually.Notes

Recessed piston design is 0.145 inch deep x 2.935 inch diameter.Calculator

Compression Calculator Tool

Stroker Combinations

its in the detailed info..

Bore (in)

3.346 in.Bore (mm)

85.000mmPiston Style

Dish, with four valve reliefsPiston Material

Hypereutectic aluminumCompression Distance (in)

1.203 in.Wrist Pin Style

Press-fitPin Diameter (in)

0.866 in.Piston Ring Thickness

1.20mm x 1.20mm x 2.80mmQuantity

Sold individually.Notes

Recessed piston design is 0.145 inch deep x 2.935 inch diameter.Calculator

Compression Calculator Tool

Stroker Combinations

So what is the dish volume then, not seeing it. Oh you have to work it out? and convert to CC's.... piston pin diameter is wrong size anyway for an L motor.

Z20E or Z20S pistons can be found through ITM. Your local Motion auto parts or other parts house with WorldPac parts or ITM distributor can get them for you.

Z20S pistons are not the same as Z20E. They are flat top, different Compression Height too I believe.

Wow, How have I never seem ITM in all my searches for this piston. They actually have a part number for it!

Z20E pistons from '80-'81 200sx and '84-'86 720...

motorZ20EandZ20S720pistons4-1.jpg

Z20S piston from A10 (HL510) '80-'81 in US and '81 in Canadak

motorZ20EandZ20S720pistons3-1.jpg

Mike, I find that very interesting. The Jason Grey info thread shows the E pistons to have a -13cc (some are flat) and not knowing for the S. The OZDAT engine design shows the E to have a -13cc dish, and the S to be flat top.

On top of that, both say there is almost a 4mm difference in pin height (compression height)

This is what ITM shows for a Z20S piston.

z20s%252520pistons.jpg

I've had two sets of Z20E pistons and they were like the picture with the little eyebrows and flattop. The long rods were 6" or 152.5mm I measured them myself.

As to the Z20 in the 720 they used the same 152.5mm rods, the exact same part number. The compression on these motors is 9 to one!!! So if there is a dish is has to be very small or none at all. No the Z20E and the 720 pistons are not the same number but they have the same rod length and therefore must have the same pin height also.

The Z20S just means carb motor but I believe the Z20(S) pistons in the 720 are actually the Z20E pistons in the 200sx.

Nope, nope. The Z20S are dished just like the L, and the head sticks up farther just like the Z22 piston. In fact, basically the Z20S piston is the same as a Z22 piston, just smaller diameter.

The Z20E piston is the flattop with valve reliefs.

When I rebuilt that Z20S in the 720, it had the same dished pistons, not the flattop. The Z20E pistons were only available in HL510s in '80-'81.

I would swear I saw a Z20 shortblock with the flattops at DatDoug's house just after Tday. The block was cracked. It was 85mm bore if I remember right. I didnt realize what it was till I got home. He might still have it if you are willing to use used pistons.

Ok, so no one carries Z20S pistons. Some claim it, but then the piston turns out to be a Z20E with the 31.75 Compression Height.

I just want the Z20S pistons with the 35.56mm Compression Height and the Flat top versions. I know flat tops exist since so many people have claimed to have either had them or used them. Reference is scattered all throughout different forums (here, the realm, ozdat...)

Datsunaholic Showing a Z20s in a A10. I would say flat top...

I got a Z20S from Datsunaholic, although it sounded like it had been through several trucks, so it may actually have been a Z20E that was thought to be a Z20S, but the point is, it had flattop pistons.

Also, 1G 4G63s have 85mm bores, 21mm wrist pins, and a ~35mm compression height. Trying to figure out a way to make this work. But I don't have it yet. I'm thinking you should be able to get some good forged pistons, and build a pretty decent turbo motor.

I got a Z20S from Datsunaholic, although it sounded like it had been through several trucks, so it may actually have been a Z20E that was thought to be a Z20S, but the point is, it had flattop pistons.

Also, 1G 4G63s have 85mm bores, 212mm wrist pins, and a ~35mm compression height. Trying to figure out a way to make this work. But I don't have it yet. I'm thinking you should be able to get some good forged pistons, and build a pretty decent turbo motor.

I am aware of the 4g63 pistons. But they all seem to have a big dish to them unless you spend a lot of money (like enough to buy a KA engine)

I am aware of the 4g63 pistons. But they all seem to have a big dish to them unless you spend a lot of money (like enough to buy a KA engine)

Yeah that's the problem that I was seeing with them too. I was trying to figure out if the OE pistons were forged (after all some 4G63s are good for big power on stock components).

Also, CP makes a +4mm B16 piston that's 85mm bore, 21mm wrist, and a like 30mm comp height.

One thing I've never seen is how much can you safely deck an L/Z block?

Nope, nope. The Z20S are dished just like the L, and the head sticks up farther just like the Z22 piston. In fact, basically the Z20S piston is the same as a Z22 piston, just smaller diameter.

The Z20E piston is the flattop with valve reliefs.

When I rebuilt that Z20S in the 720, it had the same dished pistons, not the flattop. The Z20E pistons were only available in HL510s in '80-'81.

Matt I was going to say wrong but check the rods on the 200sx and the truck Z20S looks like they are the same 152.5mm or 6" so I assumed they had the same flattops. The 720 Z20 motor has a 9 compression so if it has a dish then it must have a really small combustion chamber.