Whats easier, gas tank or truck bed?

Randog

I need to pull my tank to fix my fuel gauge, but I was wondering if it would be easier to just pull the bed off the top rather than the tank off the bottom. Any advice?

Also, are all 620 beds interchangeable? Because there's a hole in my bed, so I was thinking that if I took the bed off, I may as well go on down to the junkyard and get myself another bed to put back on.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dropping the tank for sure, I just did mine on my 74 620..6 blots and fuels lines...down she goes..hardest part about the whole thing was getting it back up. Trying to aline bolts and keep tank straight, but once you get a bolt or 2 started it is easy...good luck!!!!

Get a can of PBlaster... pre-soak it the night before, hit it again before you work on it, and as you're removing the bolts if it becomes a problem.

^^This.

You can also soak a rag and hang it over. It will really help break the rust loose.

Any that don't break, replace. You can get all the bolts zinc plated and gorgeous for a couple bucks at autozone.

I appreciate all the information. I've suddenly decided to put the project on hold, because opportunity has knocked and I may making the purchase of a 1980 720. The 720 is newer, runs better, has been converted to a 6X8 flatbed that doesn't have a hole in it, all the gauges work, the heater works better than on my truck, and the gross vehicle weight is higher. But if I do end up sticking with my 620, I'll know that the tank comes off easier then the bed.

I happen to know that the 720 I'm considering has been used to haul 1,800 pounds of straw. Not a regular basis, but its been done. So out of curiosity, is that overloading?