'74 headlight relay

rsdaumer

Hey everyone. Almost got the brakes cleaned up, adjusted and bled, so next big problem is the headlight relays. the PO did some crazy wiring to show me the headlights worked by bypassing the relay. there were two metal relays in the engine compartment on either side of the fan shroud. those were bypassed and the lights kinda come on but not really. i ordered a new relay from rock auto, its plastic with 5 posts (the other two had one with 4 posts and one with 3 posts) could anyone post a pic of a 74 engine bay with the relay hooked up correctly? trying to get this truck drivable ASAP. thanks everyone!

Russ

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok thanks! any idea where i can get these two relays? i ordered one from rock auto and its plastic with 5 prongs. two say COIL, one says NC, one says NO and the other is COM

COIL - Self evident, that's where it connects to.

NC - Normally closed.

NO - Normally open.

COM - Common. Depends on your vehicle, "Common" may mean ground or +12 volts depending on whether you have switched voltage or switched ground scheme.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

hey everyone. finally got the brakes good on the truck so im trying to tackle this headlight issue so i can start driving it. called nissan with the original part number, no relays are available anywhere in the country. would anyone happen to have an extra one somewhere? had three different people look at the new relay and try to get it to work; no one could. thanks!

im in louisiana. i figured out one was the horn relay and got a new one. took the old headlight relay apart and nothing is burnt or anything, but its still not working. we could get the old one, and the new one, to work with the high beams and low beams on all the time, but not the low beams by themselves and be able to trigger the high beams. checked the switch in the cab and it it worked fine.

I do not have a 620, but I do have 521 trucks. The headlight wiring on the truck may similar, I do not know.

The headlight relay on my truck has four terminals, with the following colored wires. A red with yellow stripe wire, supplying power, a red with white stripe wire, going to the high beams, and a red with black stripe wire , going to the low beams, and finally a smaller diameter light green with white stripe wire, going to the dimmer switch, on the steering column.

Power is supplied to the common terminal on the relay switch, and to the coil of the relay, in the original Datsun headlight relay. The steering column grounds the light green with white stripe wire, and this makes the relay switch to high beams.

The red with black wire, going to the low beam headlights is connected to the NC terminal on the relay. The Red with white stripe wire going to the high beam headlights is connected to the NO terminal.

If you use a heavy duty Bosch cube relay, red with yellow goes to pin 30, and has a jumper to pin 86. The light green, with white stripe wire goes to pin 85. The red with black stripe wire goes to pin 87A, and the red with white stripe wire goes to pin 87.

So the relay i ordered off of rockauto and had hooked up decided to burn up. the corner is fried and i have to tap it to get it to click out of high beam. just ordered a new one from autozone that has a lifetime warranty. ugh this truck is really making me mad sometimes