620 4x4 transfer case options?

Plumbob

I am looking into either converting my 79 short box or finding a frame that has already been converted and swapping my cab and box onto it, I have seen a few well done conversions and a few hack jobs. Thoughts? I was in northern Idaho while on a camping trip and sitting in the camp site right next to me was a converted 620 with a divorced case from a early 80's 720, it looked like the t case was a direct bolt in (frames are almost identical) and the front axle looked like a modified dana 30. has anyone done this type of conversion or close?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The T-100 from a 720 won't 'drop in' a 2wd frame, 720 or 620. The 720 frame is different and allows the trans case output clearance for the rear drive shaft. Here's what happens if you mount one into a 2wd frame.

STP80210Large.jpg

There is a cross member in the way. I solved this by welding in a piece of 12" water pipe to keep structurally sound. The 620 you saw probably had a 720 4x4 frame or it was a previously modified 620 frame without the cross frame..

Never finished it. There is a clearance problem with the front driveshaft that could just use an eyebrow cut and weld it up to fix. The front axle is from a 'Yoda, the torsion bars are long gone. The plan was a double cardan joint front and Nissan rear to mate it up. The truck started to get heavy, the rear end went bad and all I had was a 4.11 and with 33s highway driving up hills or into the wind is a problem so I put a Z24 in it. Better, but the stock 4.375 would be best.

• 3 weeks later...